Scion Releases Details on FR-S
- 200 horsepower
- Near-perfect 53/47 front to rear weight balance
- Starts at $24,200
The first truly affordable rear-wheel-drive sports coupe to come out of the Toyota family in 20 years is about to hit the market, and that means it’s time for all of the juicy details. While we’ve already covered the price of the Scion FR-S, Scion released all the other details today, and they look good.
Based off of a two-liter boxer engine developed with the help of Subaru, the engine is good for 200 horsepower, and doesn’t rely on a turbocharger, so that power is available right from the get-go. It’s the first boxer engine to use Toyota’s direct- and port-injection, which means that the fuel system can make a lot of power when needed, but also achieve up to 34 mpg on the highway with the automatic transmission, or 30 with the manual.
Scion focused on handling prowess when developing this FR-S, and to that end, the company achieved near-perfect balance, with 53% of the car’s 2,800-pound weight in the front, and the remaining 47% out back. Scion also kept as much weight as possible in the lower part of the car with tricks like mounting the seats as low as possible. This all means quick, confident handling into and out of corners.
On the inside, Scion made sure to design an interior that’s up the to the task of performance driving, with deeply-bolstered seats, and a dash with a raised center line in order to help the driver place the centerline of the car in just the right place. An adjustable leather-trimmed steering wheel and a center-mounted rev counter with programmable shift indicator round out the track-inspired features.
For entertainment, an eight-speaker Pioneer system with AM/FM, CD, USB connection, HD Radio, and Bluetooth as standard. For a charge, the FR-S is the first Scion with the company’s new BeSpoke system allows personalized content like Facebook, Twitter, and internet radio to play through the system when paired to a user’s iPhone.
What it means to you: If you’ve been looking for a different take on the affordable rear-wheel-drive sports car, this Scion may just be it.