Effective Date: April 3, 2014
Thank you for your interest in AutoTrader. We respect the privacy of our users when they use our websites, mobile and other online applications and products and services (collectively, the "AutoTrader Sites"). By using AutoTrader Sites, you consent to the use of your information and information about you in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
When we refer to AutoTrader within this Privacy Statement, we are referring to AutoTrader.com, Inc. This Privacy Statement applies to information collected through the AutoTrader Sites and does not describe the collection, use and disclosure practices of any of our corporate affiliates or third parties. For information on the collection, use and disclosure practices of any company with whom you are doing business, whether or not affiliated with AutoTrader, please review their privacy policies.
Services offered by AutoTrader are not directed to individuals under the age of eighteen (18). If you are under eighteen (18), you should not provide any personal information to us.
This Privacy Statement covers:
- Information We Collect
- Information You Provide
- Automated Information
- Data Technologies
- Location Information
- Publicly Posted Information
- Combined Information and Information from Other Sources
- How We May Use the Information We Collect
- Applications, Widgets and Social Media
- Advertising Networks
- Information We Share
- Our Service Providers
- Co-Sponsored Promotions
- Promotions on Behalf of Third Parties
- Sellers, Dealers and Manufacturers
- Credit Applications
- Corporate and Asset Transactions
- Your Choices
- Your California Privacy Rights
- Access and Correction
- Data Security
- Updates to this Privacy Statement
- How to Contact Us
Information is gathered from the AutoTrader Sites by us, our service providers, advertisers, sponsors and partners.
Information You Provide. We may collect information that you choose to provide on the AutoTrader Sites in a variety of ways, such as when you:
- register for one of our products or services. This information may include your name, address, telephone number, email address, Social Security Number, and credit information;
- make information available to us via social networking logins, such as Facebook or Twitter;
- express an interest in buying, selling or trading in a car (such as by using our "email the seller" function);
- participate in chats, web forums or other interactive sessions;
- apply for credit with a dealer or one of our finance partners;
- provide payment card information for one of our products or services;
- subscribe to newsletters or provide feedback; and
- participate in surveys, sweepstakes or other promotions.
Automated Information. Information regarding your use of the AutoTrader Sites may be collected and/or aggregated through the use of automated means. This automatically collected information may include information such as:
- your IP address, the type of browser and operating system used;
- date and time you access the AutoTrader Site and pages you visit, and if you linked from or to another website, the address of that website;
- email you open and links you click on within those email; and
- your ISP or mobile carrier, and the type of handheld or mobile device that you used.
Data Technologies. Various technologies are used to automatically collect information, such as cookies, local shared objects, and web beacons (generally referred to as "Data Technologies". "Cookies" are small identifiers sent from a web server that are stored on your device for the purpose of identifying your browser or storing information or settings in your browser. "Local shared objects," sometimes known as Flash cookies, may be used to store your preferences or display content based upon what you have viewed on various websites to personalize your visit. A "web beacon," also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and their cookies. Anonymous advertising identifiers are increasingly being used on mobile devices and otherwise in a manner similar to cookies. When we refer to Data Technologies, we are including all current and similar future technologies.
One or more Data Technologies may be used on the AutoTrader Sites and other websites and mobile applications (that may not be the AutoTrader Sites) by us, by another party on our behalf, or by third parties in accordance with their privacy policies. Data Technologies may be used by us and others, on our behalf and on their own behalf, to transmit information to you or about you and connect information about you from different sources, websites, devices, and mobile applications.
We may use a uniquely generated trackable toll-free telephone number on dealer sites or in advertisements. If you call one of these uniquely generated toll-free numbers, we (or a service provider acting on our behalf) may collect non-personally identifiable information about the call (e.g. date, time, duration), as well as personally identifiable information (e.g. your name, the number from which your call originated).
Videos. We may target and track the videos you view on the Sites. You consent to our tracking of your video viewing through the Site or third party social media for up to two years or as permitted by applicable law.
Location Information. When you download or use ths AutoTrader Sites, we may collect physical location information that is sufficiently precise to allow us to locate a specific person or device ("Location Information"). We also may collect Location Information when you visit or are in the vicinity of one of our dealers. We only collect Location Information with your permission (e.g., such as when you agree to provide it to us after you initially access or download the AutoTrader Sites). We may use Location Information and provide it to third parties to provide you with content and services that are relevant to a particular location, such as advertising, search results, dealers in the area, and direction, to evaluate and improve the AutoTrader Sites, or to provide you with content and services relevant to one or more nearby dealers.
Publicly Posted Information. Information that you make available to us and others via social media networks, forums, blogs, list serves, chat rooms or similar functionality is public information that we or others may share or use in accordance with the law.
Combined Information and Information from Other Sources. We may combine information that you provide to us with information we receive from our affiliates and other sources, as well as with other information that is automatically collected. The combined information may include information about your use of the Sites, your use of other websites, devices and mobile applications and information from our affiliates and other sources.
We may use information we collect for the following purposes:
- for everyday business purposes, such as establishing and managing your user account, providing products and services you request, processing and collecting payments and providing customer support;
- to create listings and advertisements for any cars and other vehicles that you list for sale with us. These lists and advertisements may appear on the AutoTrader Sites and other websites, mobile applications or services of third parties;
- to provide values and/or offers for cars that you would like to sell or trade in;
- to offer our other products or services and/or the products or services of others to you;
- to communicate about, and administer your participation in, special events, programs, surveys, contests, sweepstakes and other offers or promotions;
- to enable you to interact with AutoTrader and our users, dealers, manufacturers and others through various means, such as through our message boards, blogs and social media;
- to evaluate and improve our business, including developing new products and services and analyzing the effectiveness of products, services, applications and websites;
- to diagnose and address technical and service problems;
- to perform data analyses, including market and consumer research, trend analysis, demographic analysis and financial analysis;
- to deliver content (including advertising) correlating to your interests and browsing and usage history, both within the AutoTrader Sites and on other websites and applications;
- to comply with applicable legal requirements and our policies; and
- to contact you via telephone, text or chat. We will obtain your consent to contact you when and in the manner required by law.
Advertising that is customized based on predictions generated over time from your visits across different websites, devices and mobile applications is sometimes called "online behavioral" or "interest-based" advertising. We may partner with advertising networks, which are companies that deliver targeted advertisements to consumers and generate statistics and metrics related to the delivery of interest-based advertisements. They may utilize information collected through a variety of Data Technologies to provide customization, auditing, research and reporting for us, our affiliates and other advertisers. This data collection takes place both on the AutoTrader Sites and on third-party's websites and mobile applications. This process allows AutoTrader and third parties to deliver targeted advertising, enhance marketing programs and help track the effectiveness of such efforts. Our advertising networks also may use this information for determining or predicting the characteristics and preferences of their respective advertising audiences and measuring the effectiveness of their advertising in accordance with their privacy policies.
We do not provide information that is directly associated with a specific person (such as name and address) to an advertising network when you interact with or view a customized advertisement. However, when you view or interact with an advertisement, the advertiser may make an assumption that you are interested in the subject matter of the advertisement.
Some companies disclose when they are using interest-based advertising programs on the AutoTrader Sites to deliver third-party ads or collecting information about your visit for these purposes and give you the ability to opt-out of this use of your information. You may see an icon in or around third-party advertisements on the AutoTrader Sites that use interest-based advertising programs and on pages where data is collected and used for online interest-based advertising. Clicking on this icon will provide additional information about the companies and data practices that were used to deliver the ad. You can opt out of delivery of targeted advertising to you by multiple companies by visiting www.aboutads.info/choices, www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp and www.evidon.com. Please note that even if you opt out, you will continue to receive advertisements, but they will not be tailored to your specific interests.
We do not sell or otherwise share information about you that we collect or receive, except as described below:
- Affiliates. We may share information about you, including personal information, with our corporate affiliates, who will use it in accordance with their privacy policies.
- Our Service Providers. We may engage third parties to provide the services offered through or in connection with the AutoTrader Sites on our behalf. We require such providers to maintain information about you as confidential and to use the information only to perform the services specified by us in a manner consistent with this Privacy Statement.
- Co-Sponsored Promotions. In the event that you participate in a survey, sweepstakes, contest or other promotion that is co-sponsored by AutoTrader and a third party, we may share information collected in conjunction with the survey, sweepstakes, contest or promotion, including personal information, with that third party. After the information is provided to those third parties, the subsequent use or disclosure of such information is subject to their privacy policies and practices. Surveys, sweepstakes and other promotions conducted on behalf of AutoTrader and a third party will include branding from both AutoTrader and the third party.
- Promotions on behalf of Third Parties. Periodically, third parties may conduct surveys, contests, sweepstakes and other promotions for their own purpose on the AutoTrader Sites. Information you provide in response to those activities is governed by their privacy policies. Surveys, sweepstakes and other promotions conducted solely for the purpose of a third party will include only the third party's branding.
- Sellers, Dealers and Manufacturers. Information about you, including personal information and Data Technologies, may be shared with sellers, dealers and manufacturers, and their agents and third party service providers, who will use that information in accordance with their own privacy policies. For example:
- If you are interested in a particular listing of a car for sale, information about you may be shared with the seller of that particular car or similar cars or dealers in your area;
- If you are considering trading in a car, we may provide information about you to dealers who participate in our trade-in program and other dealers in your area;
- We may provide manufacturers, their agents or third party service providers, with information about you that we provided to their franchised dealers;
- We may provide manufacturers, their agents or third party service providers, with information about you if you are interested in certified pre-owned vehicles; or
- We may provide manufacturers, their agents or third party service providers, and dealers with information about you when you access the AutoTrader Sites via AutoTrader branded advertising and/or functionality found on their websites or other third party websites.
- Credit Applications. If you apply for credit on the AutoTrader Sites with us, our dealers, or any third party, it will be necessary for you to provide personal information to complete the application, including your address, credit information and history, employment and other financial information. We may share your application information with the dealership(s) you selected and our financial partners so that they can process your application and otherwise use it in accordance with their privacy policies, however, we will not use your personal financial information for interest based advertising.
- Corporate and Asset Transactions. If we sell all or substantially all of our business or sell or transfer all or a material part of our assets, or are otherwise involved in a merger or transfer of all or a substantial part of our business, we may transfer all information we have collected and stored, including personal information, to the party or parties involved in the transaction as part of that transaction.
- Other. We may access or disclose information, including personal information, to:
- protect or defend our interests and the legal rights or property of AutoTrader and our affiliates;
- protect the rights, interests, safety and security of users of the AutoTrader Sites or members of the public;
- protect against fraud or for risk management purposes; or
- comply with prudent legal practice as we may determine, and applicable law or legal process.
You are entitled to make certain choices about how we communicate with you.
- You may choose not to provide personal information, even though that might impact your ability to register or receive a particular product or service.
- If you do not want to receive marketing email from us, you can follow the unsubscribe link provided in those emails.
- If you do not want to receive interest-based advertisements, you can opt out as discussed in the "Advertising Networks" section above.
- You have a number of choices regarding certain Data Technologies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser's setting to decline cookies if you prefer. You may also render some web beacons unusable by rejecting their associated cookies and disable or delete similar data used by browser add-ons, such as Flash cookies, by changing the add-on's settings or opting out at Evidon.com or the website of the technology provider. If you choose to decline cookies or similar technologies, however, please note that certain features may not function properly or at all as a result. You may be able to adjust the use of advertising identifiers on mobile devices through the settings on your device. Finally, if you do not want to use a uniquely generated telephone number, you may choose to not call us.
- If you do not want us to use Location Information, you can decline our initial invitation to provide that information, or opt out by changing the location services settings on your mobile device. However, please note that certain features may not function properly or at all as a result if you opt out.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 entitles California users to request information concerning whether a business has disclosed certain information about you to any third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. California users who wish to request further information in compliance with this law or have questions or concerns about our privacy practices and policies may contact us as specified in the "How to Contact Us" section below.
Online Tracking Policy for California Residents: As of the effective date of this Privacy Statement, there is no commonly accepted response for Do Not Track signals initiated by browsers, therefore we do not respond to them.
Access to information that we collect and maintain about you may be available to you. For example, if you created a password-protected account within the AutoTrader Sites, you can access that account to update the information you previously provided. Additionally, if you believe that information we maintain about you is inaccurate, subject to applicable law, you may request that we correct or amend the information by contacting us as indicated in the "How to Contact Us" section below.
We use commercially reasonable administrative, technical, personnel, and physical security measures designed to safeguard information about you in our possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure or modification. Of course, despite these measures, we cannot guarantee perfect security of networks, servers and databases we operate or that are operated on our behalf.
If you choose to visit the AutoTrader Sites, your visit and any dispute regarding privacy is subject to this Privacy Statement and our Visitor Agreement, including limitations on damages, resolution of disputes, and application of the law of the state of Georgia.
We may update this Privacy Statement to provide clarification or notice of changes to our practices. If we make changes, we will revise the date at the top of this Privacy Statement. We will provide you with additional notice of material changes by posting notice of the changes for thirty (30) days before we implement those changes.
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Statement, or if you would like us to update information we have about you or your preferences, please contact us by email at email@example.com.
NOTE: This is an archived version of this document. View the current version
Effective Date: January 2013
AutoTrader.com, Inc. respects the privacy of visitors to our website. This Privacy Statement applies only to information collected online through the AutoTrader.com website and does not describe the ways in which we may collect or use information obtained offline or through any means other than our website. Please read this Privacy Statement carefully so that you understand what information we collect through our website and what we do with that information. If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The information we gather generally falls into two categories: (1) information supplied by visitors to the website when they list a car for sale, perform a search, enter a sweepstakes or other promotional contest, request an offer through our Trade-In Marketplace program, or inquire about a vehicle listed for sale or about another product or service offered through our website; and (2) information we collect as visitors use our website.
Third-party providers involved in the operation of the website (including, but not limited to, vendors of products and services and providers of widgets, tools, and applications) featured on or linked to by our website may also collect information about you. Their collection and use of this information will be subject to their privacy policies.
Communicating with us If you find a listing that interests you and elect to send the seller an email through our website, we will share with the seller the contact information you supply through our online "Email this Seller" form. Some dealerships that list vehicles for sale on our website use third-party service providers to manage their "leads" (that is, the inquiries they receive from consumers who are interested in the vehicles they've listed for sale). If a dealership has designated a provider of lead management services, we may also share with that provider any information you elect to send to the dealership through our "Email this Seller" form. Vehicle manufacturers like to monitor how responsive their franchised dealers are to consumer inquiries. To help them monitor and improve dealer performance, we may also provide vehicle manufacturers with the information you send their franchised dealers using our "Email this Seller" tool. If you find a listing for a certified pre-owned vehicle that interests you and elect to send the seller an email through our website, we will also share the information you supply through our "Email this Seller" form with the manufacturer of the vehicle you are inquiring about (which administers the certified pre-owned program) to use for quality assurance, internal business analysis, process management, and other similar purposes. If you do not wish to share your email address or other contact information with sellers who advertise on our website, lead management service providers, and vehicle manufacturers, you should not use our "Email this Seller" contact form.
If you choose to receive a vehicle listing on your mobile phone, we or a service provider acting on our behalf will use the phone number you provide to send the listing you request. By providing us with your mobile phone number, you agree that we may send this information to your mobile phone via text message or email.
You may sign up for or use certain products, services and tools on our website that require or permit you to provide information about yourself, such as your name, physical address, email address and phone number. For example, you may provide such information if you sign up for our newsletters, complete our "Feedback" form or use a social media or interactive tool. We may use such information in order to provide you with the products, services or tools you have requested.
When you list a car for sale, we ask for information on the car and on how you can be contacted by potential buyers (including information like your phone number and email address). We also ask for your credit card number and the expiration date on your card. We use this information to create your ad and to process your payment (please see the section on "Use and Disclosure of Information" below for more information about how we use and secure credit card information). We may also use information you submit to us in connection with your purchase of that listing, including your name and location, on third-party sites and mobile applications where we distribute or promote your listing.
In addition to the above, we may collect information, and/or use the information we collect, in the following specific ways:
Searches and Listings To make use of certain features on our website, visitors need to provide limited information about themselves and their interests so that we can tailor the information we provide to their needs. For example, to help you find the car you want close to home, we need to know what kind of car you are looking for and your zip code. We ask you to provide this information when you perform a search. We use this information to help you find the car you are looking for or as otherwise described in this Privacy Statement.
Sweepstakes and Other Promotions From time to time, we may offer sweepstakes or other promotions on our website. If you enter a sweepstakes or promotional contest, we will ask you to provide information about yourself (such as your name, phone number, address, date of birth, and email address). Among other things, we will use this information to contact you if you win, and we may also use this information for marketing purposes. We may share this information with any co-sponsor of the contest or sweepstakes; we will identify the co-sponsor in the contest rules. We may also share this information with shipping or fulfillment companies or other third-party service providers that help administer our promotions, such as by conducting drawings, and/or delivering prizes to winners. If you do not want us to collect the information requested in the contest or sweepstakes registration form or to provide it to co-sponsors, please do not enter the contest or sweepstakes.
Online Surveys From time to time, we survey our users to measure their satisfaction with our website and other sites and to help us learn more about our audience and how they interact with our website. Third-party research firms often conduct these surveys on our behalf. We use the survey results to help us improve the services we offer to you. Except in the circumstances described below in the "Other Disclosures" section of this policy, we will not share, without your consent, any personally-identifying information you submit in response to an AutoTrader.com survey with any company other than the research firm conducting the survey. We will, however, take the information you provide and aggregate it on an anonymous basis with data collected from other survey participants. We may use and disclose that pool of anonymous information as we see fit, without identifying you personally.
AutoTrader.com Trade-In Marketplace If you request an offer for your car through our Trade-In Marketplace program, we will ask you for your contact information, including your name, telephone number and email address. We may also ask for additional optional information, like your credit score. We will also ask you for a description of the vehicle that you want to sell or trade, including detailed information about the condition and history of the car. We will use the information you provide to prepare and send you an offer for your vehicle. If you access our Trade-In Marketplace program by clicking on a link displayed on a participating dealer website (or in a listing on AutoTrader.com posted by a participating dealer), we will share your contact and vehicle information with that dealer so that the dealer can communicate with you about your interest in selling or trading in your car. If you indicate that you are considering the purchase of a replacement vehicle, we will share your information with participating dealers in your area so that they can contact you about vehicles that may match your interests. If you decide to redeem your Trade-In Marketplace offer, the participating dealer that you choose to conduct the required confirmation inspection of your car will also have access to your contact and vehicle information. When we use other companies to help us operate our Trade-In Marketplace program or improve the services we offer to you, we may provide them with information about you and/or your vehicle that is necessary for them to perform their services. We require that these companies commit to use the information only to perform the services that we request.
Email Addresses We may use your email address to respond to requests you make for our products or services or to respond to your communications with us. We may also contact you to inquire about your experience on our website, to provide you with information about our products and services available from us or from our affiliates or to communicate to you information related to the automotive industry. From time to time, we may also send you emails that include special promotions and other commercial offers that we think may be of interest to you. We hope you will find these communications informative and useful. If you do not, you can unsubscribe from any of our commercial email programs by following the simple instructions included in an email you receive in connection with that program. If you request an offer through our Trade-In Marketplace program we will use and share your email address and other contact information with participating dealers as described in the paragraph immediately above.
MyAutoTrader.com MyAutoTrader.com helps you organize your search for the right car by allowing you to do things like saving your favorite searches and cars. To access MyAutoTrader.com, we will ask you to register with us on the form provided, which may include personally identifiable information like your email address. You may also be asked to provide additional, optional personal information, such as your name, gender, and age. You agree to provide true, accurate, current, and complete information about yourself. We use this information to process your registration request, provide you with the services and communications that you request, customize features that appear on our website, measure traffic on our website, and improve our website and the services and features offered to MyAutoTrader.com users. We may share information we collect while you are using MyAutoTrader.com, including registration information, with our affiliates and with trusted third-party service providers who assist us in providing services.
Content You Post to our Website If you choose to post content to any of the interactive areas of our website, such as discussion forums, comments fields and social media areas, please keep in mind that the information you post can be seen, collected and used by anyone who has access to those areas. You may also have the opportunity from time to time to respond to questions that we display to users of the website. If you choose to respond, your response may be published on an area of the website accessible to other users or the public. We are not responsible for any third-party use of such information.
COOKIES AND OTHER DATA COLLECTION TECHNOLOGIES
Web Beacons To help us (and in some cases our advertisers and third-party providers) keep track of how many users are accessing particular pages or listings within our website, and to track how users respond to ads we place on third-party websites, we may place a small file, called a web beacon, on some of our pages and on some of the listings and ads we distribute.
We may also place a web beacon in the emails we send to you. When you open one of our emails or click on links within these emails, we track this click-through data to help us determine your interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our communications to you. If you prefer not to be tracked in this way, you should not open these emails or click text or graphic links in the emails.
Information about Your Computer or Device Our web server (and/or any web server operated by our service provider(s) on our behalf) automatically collects and may store limited information about your computer configuration when you visit our website, including the type of browser software you use, the operating system you are running, the resolution of your computer monitor, and your IP address. Your IP address is a numerical address that is used by computers connected to the Internet to identify your computer so that data (such as the web pages you want to view) can be transmitted to you. We also use IP address information for systems administration (including fraud detection and prevention) and troubleshooting purposes. We may also collect information about the website you were visiting before you came to our website and the website you visit after you leave our website.
Combined Technology Information Cookies, beacons, information collected about your computer or device, and other data collection technologies ("Data Technologies") may be used individually or in combination in order to provide and/or administer our services, to help us understand user behavior, to monitor website performance, optimize ads and measure advertising performance.
Website Analytics We may collect, or have a third party collect on our behalf, data on how visitors use and navigate through the Websites, such as the number of users who visit various pages within the Websites, what they click on, whether they scroll up or down on particular pages, fill out forms, etc. We use this information to improve the Websites and learn about users, and may disclose it to our affiliates (including, among others, the members of the AutoTrader Group, Inc. corporate family), or to third parties.
Advertising AutoTrader.com has relationships with certain third-party advertising networks, Advertisers, and advertising services ("Advertising Services") that collect data, target and serve some of the advertisements, promotions, or other marketing messages you see on our website and other websites and mobile applications, including websites owned and/or operated by our affiliates.
Such Advertising Services may, including through processes that we do not control, use Data Technologies from third party companies to collect data from your activities on these websites, on other websites owned and/or operated by our affiliates, or with other websites. These technologies may be used to track user behavior, how our products and services are offered, conduct consumer research and possibly to serve you relevant ads and content. These companies may also obtain information, including personally identifiable information, from services you use from other companies, including without limitation, other websites, mobile websites or applications, and combine the information they obtain through these Data Technologies with information obtained through our products and services. Their collection and use of this data is subject to their own privacy policies. See "Use and Disclosure of Information" below for more information on opt out options.
USE AND DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
Ad Serving and Targeting We (or a service provider acting on our behalf), our Advertising Services, our advertisers, and/or our third-party providers may use clickstream data collected using cookies, beacons, and/or browser level information to help us tailor the content of advertising, marketing, and promotional messages (including, but not limited to, landing pages) on this and other websites and mobile applications to the perceived interests of our users.
For example, if you've been viewing pages related to SUVs on our website, you are more likely to see ads about certain SUVs on our website and other websites. This clickstream data does not identify you personally and does not include your name, address, email address or telephone number, but it may include the IP address of your computer.
Our Participation in the Industry Self Regulatory Program for Interest Based Ads; Additional Choice Options AutoTrader.com supports the Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising from the Digital Advertising Alliance, which regulates the practices relating to the collection of clickstream data. To opt out of our interest-based advertising program or to learn more about our data collection practices, please visit our AdChoices page, www.aboutads.info or www.evidon.com. Pages of our website that collect information that may be used by such advertising partners for interest-based advertising purposes are identified by a link to AdChoices on the page.
When we present information to our advertisers - to help them understand our audience and confirm the value of advertising on our website - it is usually in the form of aggregated statistics on traffic to various pages within our website.
In some cases, to provide you with a customized experience and to enhance our services, we (or third party service providers acting on our behalf) may combine information (including personally identifying information) that we collect through our website with information about you and/or your computer from other sources, including offline interactions with us, public databases, and third parties.
We may share this information with our affiliates, including AutoTrader Group, Inc. and any of their subsidiaries, so that we and they may provide you with information, products, and services that we believe may be of interest to you.
Any credit card information you may provide to us is secured during transmission over the Internet using industry-standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption (See "Security," below.) We use your credit card information only to bill you for the products and services you order from us and to help detect and prevent fraud. We do not share your credit card information with anyone, except as may be necessary to process your transactions, detect and/or prevent fraud, or comply with law.
LINKS AND FEATURES OFFERED
We may release or use information about our visitors when release is appropriate to comply with laws; to respond to legal process or to a valid law enforcement request; to enforce our Visitor Agreement; or to protect the rights, property or safety of visitors to our website, our customers, the public or AutoTrader.com. As our business grows, we may buy or sell various assets. In the unlikely event that AutoTrader.com, Inc., one of its business units, or substantially all of its assets is acquired by another company, information on our visitors would be among the transferred assets.
If you choose to unsubscribe in response to an email message that we send on behalf of an advertiser, we will share your email address and opt-out instructions with the advertiser. Similarly, if we ask a third-party company to send its customers email offers on our behalf, we will share with that company (or its agent) a list of email addresses collected from website visitors who have opted out of our email program.
We may allow others to search some of our databases (our listings database, for example) and to analyze the data they find there or aggregate it with other data, either for their business purposes, or ours. Though some of the information in our databases may be personally identifying (such as the contact information included in a vehicle listing), we will only allow searches of the portions of our database that contain information that is otherwise publicly available on our website.
When we use other companies to help us operate our website or improve the services we offer to you, we may provide them with information about our visitors that is necessary for them to perform their services. We require that these companies commit to use the information only to perform the services that we request.
AutoTrader.com, Inc. takes commercially reasonable steps to ensure information we gather on our website is stored in a secure manner. Any credit card information you may provide us is secured for transmission over the Internet using industry-standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. While we work hard to protect your privacy, no physical or electronic security system is impenetrable, or invulnerable to attack, including your own, and the ones used to transmit your data to us. We cannot and do not guarantee that our systems, or your information, will be secure. Any information you include in an actual vehicle listing is publicly available on the website and viewable by anyone with Internet access.
This website is intended for use by visitors within the United States. If you reside outside the United States, please be aware that (i) our databases are stored on servers and storage devices located in the United States, (ii) your information (including personal data) may be transferred to the United States for processing and storage, and (iii) the United States, and the localities within the United States where our databases are located, may not guarantee the same level of protection for personal data as the locality or country in which you reside. By using our website, you expressly agree to our collection, use, disclosure, and transfer of your information (including personal data) for the purposes identified herein, and you consent to the transfer of such information outside of your country.
PROTECTING THE PRIVACY OF CHILDREN
Our website is not directed at or intended for children under 13 and we will not knowingly allow anyone under 13 to provide us any personally identifying information; if you are under 13, please do not provide any information about yourself on this website.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT