• Millionth download came on May 14
  • App available on iPhone and Android devices
  • Car shoppers can use the app to search and save vehicles

After less than a year of availability, AutoTrader.com's mobile app for iPhone and Android devices has already passed its one millionth download. Launched for the iPhone last June and for Android phones five months later, the app provides car shoppers with a host of important tools designed to streamline the process of finding the right vehicle.

According to AutoTrader.com, combined original downloads of the app reached the million mark on Monday, May 14. The website, which bills itself as the Internet's ultimate automotive marketplace, says about 73 percent of downloads were for the iPhone, while the remaining 27 percent came from Android users. The primary function of the app is to search for and save vehicles, and several other helpful functions are also included.

"With our mobile apps, our objective is to create a ubiquitous experience for car shoppers on the go, and the rate of adoption and usability trends of our apps is proof that users are finding them valuable," said Jose Ignacio Puente, AutoTrader.com's director of product strategy for mobile. "We pay close attention to user feedback and improve our products to ensure that they are getting an optimum AutoTrader.com mobile experience."

In addition to vehicle search, the app provides car shoppers with an interactive map of area dealerships and gives them the ability to scan a VIN bar code to search for similar vehicles by location. Other functions allow users to contact sellers by phone or e-mail directly from a vehicle listing, create a MyAutoTrader account to save favorite cars and searches and use keyword searches to find nearby vehicles and dealer amenities.

The free app can be downloaded by iPhone users at the App Store or by Android users through Google Play. AutoTrader.com says a growing number of car shoppers are accessing the site's tools through their mobile devices, and those numbers rise sharply in the evenings and on weekends. The app is responsible for much of that, as is the firm's mobile site, m.autotrader.com, which provides many of the same features as the traditional website in a format that provides easier access by mobile devices.

What it means to you: The popularity of AutoTrader.com's mobile app makes it clear that an ever-increasing number of consumers are taking to the Internet to find their next car.

author photo

Jeffrey Archer is fortunate to have turned a passion for cars into a career. His wide-ranging automotive experience includes work for automakers and dealers in addition to covering the news. When not writing, he spends his time searching for unique cars on AutoTrader.com.

Related Articles & Car Reviews

Find Cars for sale near you:

Research by Vehicle Type

  • Convertible
  • Coupe
  • Hatchback
  • Hybrid
  • Luxury
  • Sedan
  • SUV
  • Truck
  • Van/Minivan
  • Wagon

Shopping Tools

Loading Ajax Content Loading Ajax Content