Only a few Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered disinfectants are safe coronavirus disinfectants for your car. Why? Because many of them contain bleach (sodium hypochlorite) or hydrogen peroxide, which can be harmful to some surfaces inside your car. When it comes to disinfecting your car, stay clear of these two ingredients.
Unless you carry a magnifying glass to the store with you, reading the mouse print of the ingredient list on the various coronavirus (COVID-19) disinfectant products offered may prove impossible. With that in mind, we’ve put together a list of disinfectant products registered by the EPA that are safe for your car’s interior.
Which EPA-Registered Coronavirus Disinfectants Are Safe for Your Car?
The EPA lists nearly 300 registered COVID-19 Disinfectants on its website. Most of them may be harmful to interior car surfaces. We’ve assembled a list of safe coronavirus disinfectants typically available in grocery stores and pharmacies.
As the coronavirus continues to affect our everyday lives, currently, many of these products are hard to locate. However, you may find one or two of them in stock at your local grocery, drug or discount store, as well as on Amazon or eBay. For maximum effectiveness and safety, they must be used according to the label directions. None of the listed products should be used on leather or other porous surfaces. Also note, just because “Clorox” is on the label doesn’t necessarily mean it contains bleach. The Clorox products listed below don’t.
- Saginaw by Clorox
- Clorox Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner by Clorox
- Clorox Disinfecting Wipes by Clorox
- Clorox Commercial Solutions Clorox Disinfecting Spray by Clorox
- Clorox Healthcare VersaSure Wipes by Clorox
- Clorox QS by Clorox
- Spruce-ups by Clorox
- Purell Professional Surface Disinfectant Wipes by GOJO Industries
- Lysol Bathroom Cleaner by Reckitt Benckiser LLC
- Lysol Neutra Air 2 in 1 by Reckitt Benckiser LLC
- Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist by Reckitt Benckiser LLC
- Lysol Brand Clean & Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner by Reckitt Benckiser LLC
- Lysol Disinfectant Spray by Reckitt Benckiser LLC
- Sani-Prime Germicidal Spray by Professional Disposables International, Inc.
- Sani-Cloth Prime Germicidal Disposable Wipe by Professional Disposables International, Inc.
What If I Can’t Find Any Prepackaged Coronavirus Disinfectants?
One of the most effective and safe COVID-19 disinfectants on the market is isopropanol alcohol. When mixed in a solution of 70 percent isopropanol and 30 percent water, it is as effective as any prepackaged disinfectant. You can buy pure isopropanol and mix it at home, or simply buy it already mixed as rubbing alcohol.
Soap and water remain an effective coronavirus disinfectant, as well. In fact, it is what you should use to disinfect any leather surfaces in your car followed by applying a leather conditioner like Meguiar’s Gold Class Leather Conditioner or TriNova Leather Conditioner and Restorer.