How to Sell a Car in Oklahoma

Ready to sell your car?Start My Ad Now
Ready to sell your car?Start My Ad Now

The steps and process for selling a vehicle online are different in every state. Learn how to sell your used car or truck privately in Oklahoma.

Whether you live in the Red Bed Plains, the Ouachita Mountains, the High Plains, the Ozark Plateau or the Red River Plains of Oklahoma, if you are thinking about privately selling your used car or truck, you’ve come to the right place. With an estimated 1.4 million registered trucks and cars in the state of Oklahoma, it is no wonder that thousands of private vehicle sellers from the Sooner State have used Autotrader to sell their car. Below, we’ve outlined the five steps and forms required for how to sell a car in the state of Oklahoma so you can sell your car quickly for the most cash. Remember, most states consider the vehicle title a legal document, so the legal names (no nicknames) of both parties involved should be used, along with legible handwriting using black or blue ink. Mistakes, errors and the use of white out may void the document so be careful and take your time filling it out.

Although the Oklahoma Tax Commission administers the registration and taxing of vehicles, the state utilizes a statewide network of private motor license agents who have the capability of processing virtually any vehicle title and/or registration transaction, applying the identical tax and fee structure. Visiting one of these locations may expedite your transaction.

Step 1: Allow the buyer to have the car inspected by a third party
Step 2: Organize and gather all related vehicle documentation
Step 3: Purchase price declaration and odometer disclosure
Step 4: Transfer the title
Step 5: Remove your plates, cancel your registration and insurance

Step 1: Allow the buyer to have the car inspected by a third party

For most vehicle shoppers who buy a car privately, Autotrader recommends a pre-purchase vehicle inspection conducted by a qualified and licensed auto mechanic. Although the buyer pays for this inspection, the seller and buyer must agree on when and where the inspection is to be held. If the inspection does find any issues with the car, it is a good idea for you as the seller to keep the report for your records. Even with some slight issues, the buyer may still want the car. In this case, the buyer/new owner should keep a copy of the report to address future repairs.

Back to top of article

Step 2: Organize and gather all related vehicle documentation

Find all maintenance records, owner’s manual and other paperwork related to the vehicle. As of 2020, Oklahoma does not have any requirements surrounding vehicle emissions testing which means the seller will not have to provide any inspection documentation to the buyer nor will buyer need to get an emissions test done to register the vehicle. This also extends to safety and vehicle inspections as well as smog tests.

When a vehicle is financed, the financial institution – usually a bank - will be listed as a lienholder and retains the original title. When a lien has been satisfied on a paper title, the lienholder can issue a lien release either by signing and dating two lien release forms, one of which must be provided to the Oklahoma Tax Commission. Oklahoma provides this detailed information on lien filings and lien release guidelines for vehicles. If the lien is to be carried forward to the buyer, the active lien will be reflected on the transfer title issued. If a lien release cannot be obtained, a notarized statement from the secured party may be accepted by using a Lien Release Affidavit Letter. If you have a lien release you wish to submit, mail the lien release to:

Oklahoma Tax Commission
Motor Vehicle Liens
P.O. Box 269061
Oklahoma City, OK 73126

There is no fee to release a lien. A new title, without the lien listed, can be obtained by paying a title fee at any tag agency.

Back to top of article

Step 3: Purchase price declaration and odometer disclosure

Oklahoma does not require residents to use a special Bill of Sale but all sellers are legally required to report the final sale price of the vehicle to the Oklahoma Tax Commission by filling out a Declaration of Vehicle Purchase Price (Form 722-1). This form is a comparable to a Bill of sale since it covers the critical information such as:

  • Year, Make and Model of the vehicle
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Printed legal name and address of the seller and buyer
  • Date of Sale
  • Sale Price

While the declaration form 722-1 is to be provided to the state, most sellers and buyers find it helpful to keep a copy for themselves as proof of the transaction. The Declaration of Purchase Price needs to be signed in front of a notary public.

In response to the rise in odometer fraud cases in Oklahoma and across the U.S., the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) odometer disclosure requirements were updated in December 2020 impacting certain private vehicle sales in Oklahoma: For a vehicle transfer that occurs from January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2030, any vehicle of model year 2011 or newer (2012, 2013, etc.) will require an odometer disclosure form 729. Starting on January 1, 2031, any vehicle that is less than 20 model years old will require an odometer disclosure. Previously, the NHTSA required disclosure was for only the first 10 years. Cars older than 2010 are exempt from odometer disclosures.

If the vehicle is being gifted from a family member or obtained due to a divorce or another situation be sure to mark a “GIFT / $0” on Form 722-1. In such cases, no sales tax will be assessed.

Back to top of article

Step 4: Transfer the title

If the original certificate of title is lost, stolen or badly damaged, the seller must fill out an Application for Duplicate Certificate of Title for Vehicle/Boat/Motor (Form 701-7) and all owners on the title must have their signature notarized by a Notary Public. This applies if there is more than one owner (seller) of the vehicle. If you are utilizing the Power of Attorney to sell on behalf of the original owner or their Estate, then you must submit the Actual Notarized Power of Attorney or a Certified Copy of the Power of Attorney form.

For a duplicate title to be issued, the seller must present either the current Oklahoma registration or evidence of out of state residency. Out of state residency may be proven by showing an out of state registration for the vehicle/boat/motor, a utility bill, rental agreement, or out of state driver license in the name of the record owner. If the Oklahoma registration is not current and out of state residency cannot be established, then the seller must pay all delinquent Oklahoma registration fees and penalties, along with an Oklahoma insurance verification form, for the duplicate title to be issued. Oklahoma law requires a negotiable certificate of title properly assigned to the new owner(s) for all vehicle ownership transfers.

In the case where the owner has passed away and you’ve inherited the vehicle according to the decedent’s will, the will must first be probated. Once probated, you may present the letters of testamentary issued by the court awarding you the vehicle, along with a copy of the decedent’s death certificate to any tag agency to transfer ownership into your name. If the value of the estate was less than $20,000, the will does not need to be probated through the court system and you may visit a tag agent to transfer the vehicle’s ownership.

To change the assignment of title, both the seller and the buyer will fill out the reverse side of the certificate of title. The seller needs to print their legal name, the address of the buyer, purchase price of the vehicle, date of the sale and provide the odometer reading. Both the buyer and seller need to print their name and sign the title in front of a notary public. After the sale, the seller must submit their current vehicle registration which will be canceled, and the buyer will submit their own application for registration in their name(s).

Sellers may use the notice of transfer by completing Form 773. This is an optional procedure, intended only to notify the Oklahoma Tax Commission of the ownership change. It in no way affects the responsibility of the buyer to transfer ownership of the vehicle in the manner prescribed by Oklahoma law. You can also perform a notice of transfer online.

Back to top of article

Step 5: Remove your plates, cancel your registration and insurance

Oklahoma law states the seller must remove and keep their license plates after selling the vehicle, either returning them or transferring the plates to a replacement vehicle. After the vehicle’s registration has been cancelled, cancel your insurance.

Under Oklahoma’s Senate Bill 1339 which went into effect on July 1, 2019, the buyer can drive their newly purchased vehicle for up to five days without a license plate before they will be required to register their new vehicle in their name and get a new plate from a local tag agency. Additionally, under this same law, all car owners are always now required to carry current and valid certificates of registration in their cars. If you don’t know where your registration document is, you can print a duplicate registration using the OkCARS online service.

For more information, visit the Oklahoma Tax Commission’s website.

Back to top of article

Questions about selling your car in Oklahoma? We have answers.

What paperwork do I need to privately sell a car in Oklahoma?

There are several documents which private sellers of vehicles in Oklahoma will need:

  1. Current maintenance and vehicle records
  2. A Declaration of Vehicle Purchase Price Form 722-1
  3. An Odometer Disclosure Statement Form 729 (if applicable)
  4. The vehicle’s original certificate of title or completed application for replacement certificate title
  5. The seller’s current registration (unless the title being transferred is a salvage or junk title)
  6. Proof of lien release (if active liens are present on the vehicle)
  7. Notice of Transfer Form 773 (optional)

Is a Bill of Sale required for selling a car in Oklahoma?

No. However, all private sellers must fill out, sign and submit a Declaration of Vehicle Purchase Price form which contains many of the same key pieces of information as a Bill of Sale.

Do I remove my license plate when I sell a car in Oklahoma?

Yes. Starting in July 2019, Oklahoma private sellers must remove their license plates when they sell their vehicle.

Does a bill of sale have to be notarized in Oklahoma?

Yes. Oklahoma has a form called a Declaration of Purchase Price, which is equivalent to a bill of sale and is legally required for all private party transactions. This form needs to be signed in front of a notary public.

Does a vehicle title have to be notarized in Oklahoma?

Yes. A notary will need to witness the seller and buyer signing the Oklahoma certificate of title.

Autotrader is here to help

Customer Service

Monday – Friday | 8am – 8pm (Eastern)

Saturday | 9am - 6pm

1 (866) 288-6872

Information Center
Available 24 hours/day; 7 days a week
Enter Information Center now

Fraud Awareness Tips

Awareness is the best defense.