The 2022 Audi A7 Sportback combines the best attributes of a sedan with the hatchback convenience of an SUV and wagon. Sharing much of its platform and equipment with the A6 sedan, the A7 goes a step further by offering a plug-in hybrid model.
When it comes to luxury, the A7 touts most of Audi’s best equipment as standard, making the Premium and Premium Plus models the best value for the dollar. Audi bundles most of its best options into reasonably priced packages, helping consumers avoid the sticker shock experienced by some rival brands.
The 2022 Audi A7 55 TFSI uses a 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 engine good for 335 horsepower. The A7 55 TFSI e plug-in hybrid employs a 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine paired with an electric motor and 14.1 kWh battery for a combined output of 362 horsepower and estimated electric-only driving range of 24 miles. Only the Premium Plus and Prestige offer the hybrid engine.
All A7 trims use a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission and the quattro all-wheel-drive system.
For performance fans, there are two upgrades to the A7. The first is the S7, which is offered only in Premium Plus and Prestige, deriving power from a 444-horsepower twin-turbocharged V6.
The second is the RS 7 that pulls 591 horsepower from a twin-turbocharged V8. The RS 7 comes in only one well-equipped trim. For reference, the RS 7 can sprint to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds, whereas the S7 takes 4.5 seconds and the A7 55 gets to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds.
2022 Audi A7 Premium (Starting at $69,200)
Considering its price, one would expect the base A7 Premium trim to come pretty well equipped, and that’s precisely the case. However, if you require perks like a high-end audio system or adaptive cruise control, you’ll have to move up to the Premium Plus to get them.
If luxury to you is all about leather seats and fancy electronics, then read on. The Premium trim might be enough to call it a day.
Of course, the A7’s standard equipment roster includes leather upholstery, an 8-way power driver’s seat with 4-way power lumbar support, power one-touch up/down windows, and cruise control.
What might surprise you are features like power-folding heated side mirrors, heated front seats, and a panoramic glass sunroof. Although not a name-brand audio system, the A7’s 10-speaker Audi sound system is pretty nice, as is the standard MMI navigation projected onto a large 10.1-inch touch screen. SiriusXM satellite radio comes with a 3-month trial subscription.
Audi’s Virtual Cockpit is also standard. It uses a 12.3-inch LCD to recreate a gauge cluster digitally but can change the screen to different modes. For example, drivers can shrink the speedometer and tachometer and use the screen to display a giant 3D navigation map supporting Google Earth.
The A7’s tilt/telescopic steering column is power-operated. Its auto-dimming rearview mirror includes a built-in garage door opener and toll transponder (requires subscription). The auto-dimming side mirrors are included in the driver’s seat memory function.
The Advance Key proximity key fob allows access to the vehicle simply by touching the door handle or trunk lid. Once inside, a push of a button is all that’s needed to start the car. An advanced 3-zone climate control system keeps things comfortable in the cabin, while a 40/20/40 split-folding rear seat allows all manner of cargo and passenger configuration.
Step outside the A7 and you’ll find 20-inch wheels, LED headlights with automatic high beams, LED taillights with dynamic turn signals, and a retractable rear spoiler. The large hatchback is power-operated and can be activated by either touching a button under the rear lip or pushing a button on the remote fob.
On the safety and driver-assist front, the A7 Premium lists as standard 10 airbags, including driver and front passenger knee airbags and rear-seat side-impact airbags. A direct tire pressure monitoring system and front and rear parking sensors are here, too.
The A7 Premium comes equipped with automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, lane-departure warning, Audi pre-sense basic collision preparation, and a rearview monitor. Audi Connect Care assistance and security services get a limited 6-month trial run. They can be made permanent via a subscription (the same goes for Audi Connect Prime with Wi-Fi connectivity).
Options for the Premium trim include the Convenience package comprised of a wireless charge pad, a heated steering wheel, a Top View 360-degree camera, and Audi Side Assist blind-spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert and exit warning.
With the $1,045 destination fee, the 2022 Audi A7 Premium costs $70,245. On a 60-month loan at 3% financing, the monthly payment comes to $1,262. Find a 2022 Audi A7 Premium for sale
2022 Audi A7 Premium includes:
- Virtual Cockpit – Provides a brilliant digital simulation of traditional analog gauges and includes three modes: Classic, Sport, and Infotainment.
- Advanced Key – Proximity key fob allows unlocking the car simply by touching the door handle.
- Power liftgate – Just a push of a button will automatically open and close the A7’s massive tailgate, making it easier to load and unload when your hands are full.
- Rear-seat side airbags – Work in conjunction with the side-curtain airbags to protect rear seat occupants.
2022 Audi A7 Premium Plus ($74,350) A7 e Premium Plus Plug-in Hybrid ($74,900)
The Premium Plus trim brings a few more features designed to appeal to audio and technophiles, yet its base price isn’t all that much more than the Premium.
Standard equipment includes all the Premium’s Convenience package features plus a 705-watt/16-speaker Bang & Olufsen 3D Premium sound system, HD Matrix LED headlights with dynamic DRLs, and adaptive cruise control with Traffic Jam Assist and Active Lane Assist.
Optional equipment for the Premium Plus includes the Black Optic and S line exterior upgrade packages and the Executive package that adds 4-zone climate control, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, 4-way power lumbar for the front passenger seat, and multi-color ambient LED lighting.
Opt for the A7 55 e Plug-in Hybrid, and the standard equipment set changes slightly. Adaptive cruise control, Active Side Assist, and Active Lane Assist are not standard but are available.
With destination, the 2022 Audi A7 Premium Plus sells for $75,395. On a 60-month loan at 3%, the payment comes to $1,355 or just $93 more each month over the base Premium. Find a 2022 Audi A7 Premium Plus for sale or Find a 2022 Audi A7 e Premium Plus for sale
2022 Audi A7 Premium Plus includes:
- Bang & Olufsen 3D Premium audio – With 705-watts driving 16 speakers, this is the system for people who love music and love it loud.
- Adaptive cruise control with Traffic Jam Assist – Allows the A7 to maintain a safe distance from the traffic ahead. The system can slow and even stop the vehicle, then resume following, making it perfect for stop-and-go traffic situations.
- Top View camera – This 360-degree camera gives a complete picture of the surrounding area. The camera can also show a 3D image of the A7.
- Heated steering wheel – There’s nothing worse than trying to grip an ice-cold steering wheel on a winter day. The A7’s heated steering wheel quickly warms the wheel rim, making it more comfortable to drive.
2022 Audi A7 Prestige ($78,350) A7 e Prestige Plug-in Hybrid ($80,250)
For those who must have it all, the 2022 Audi A7 Prestige leaves little to be desired.
The Prestige trim includes all of the Premium Plus features, including the contents of the Executive package, then adds a head-up display, power soft-close doors, dual-pane acoustic glass, and Audi’s Intersection assist.
Still not enough? Buyers can add the Luxury package and get individual contour massaging front seats covered in Valcona/Milano leather, passenger seat memory, and leather covering the A7’s dash, armrests, and center console.
A 21-inch wheel package is also available.
Out the door, the 2020 Audi A7 Prestige sells for $79,395 with a monthly payment of just $72 over the base Premium Plus, or $1,427. Find a 2022 Audi A7 Prestige for sale or Find a 2022 Audi A7 e Prestige for sale
2022 Audi A7 Prestige includes:
- Head-up display – Projects essential information such as speed and navigation directions onto the windshield, allowing the driver to keep their eyes on the road.
- Power soft-close doors – Ensure the doors close by automatically pulling them shut once the latch mechanism is engaged.
- Heated rear seats – Ensures back seat passengers are not left out in the cold.
- 4-zone automatic climate control – Audi’s best climate control system keeps everyone comfortable, allowing rear-seat passengers to control their zone.