Although only available in California and not widely known, the 2022 Hyundai Nexo SUV is a cutting-edge electric vehicle powered by a hydrogen fuel cell. Unlike EVs, the Nexo never needs to be plugged in, and its only emission is water vapor. With a cruising range of 380 miles, the Nexo makes a great around-town commuter and can even handle occasional trips to the countryside. However, the distance you can travel will be limited by the scarcity of hydrogen fueling stations. Still, the Nexo is a novel idea that could hold the key to a greener automotive landscape.
2022 Hyundai Nexo Blue (starting at $59,435)
The Nexo Blue is the entry-level trim, but we think it offers most things you’ll need in a commuter car.
A quick walk around the exterior reveals handsome 17-inch alloy wheels, LED headlights, DRLs plus and approach lights, and LED taillights. Auto on/off headlights come standard, as do automatic high beams. The power side mirrors are also heated, and the mirror housings include integrated turn signals.
Other standard features include rear privacy glass, a rear roof spoiler, variable front wipers, and an intermittent rear wiper with a washer around the back.
On the safety front, the Nexo includes a host of driver assists such as forward collision avoidance with pedestrian detection, adaptive cruise control with stop/go function, lane departure warning, and lane-keeping assist. Also in the mix is lane centering, a blind-spot monitor, and rear cross-traffic detection. Front and rear parking sensors warn when getting too close to a stationary object, while a driver attention monitor alerts when driving patterns indicate inattentive or drowsy driving.
Other safety systems include electronic traction and stability control, anti-lock brakes, individual tire pressure monitors, and a complete set of airbags, including side curtain airbags.
The Nexo’s interior is both handsome and functional. It features a prominent 10.25-inch digital gauge cluster alongside a 12.3-inch color touch screen controlling the audio and infotainment systems. A 2-spoke leather-wrapped tilt/telescoping steering wheel features controls for the cruise control, audio, and configurable displays, as well as Bluetooth connectivity.
Standard amenities include vegan leatherette upholstery (which is a fancy way of saying vinyl), heated 8-way power front seats with driver’s power lumbar support, a proximity key fob with push-button start, automatic climate control, power windows and door locks, plus dual sliding sun visors with lighted vanity mirrors.
Nexo’s infotainment system includes SiriusXM satellite radio, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, a rearview monitor, HD radio, and built-in navigation. Hyundai’s Blue Link connected services and a wireless charging pad are also standard. For your charging needs, you’ll find two USB charge ports up front and a 115-volt outlet in the rear.
With the $1,245 destination charge, the 2022 Hyundai Nexo Blue costs $60,680. On a 60-month loan at 3% financing and zero down, the monthly payment comes to $1,090. See 2022 Hyundai Nexo Blue models for sale
2022 Hyundai Nexo Blue includes:
- Lane Centering – helps keep the vehicle centered in its lane, making for a more relaxing drive without constant input from the driver.
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go – maintains a safe distance to the vehicle ahead, slowing down or speeding up with the traffic flow. The system can even bring the car to a complete stop and resume speed once the traffic begins to move if stopped for less than three seconds.
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto – allows smartphone integration with the car’s infotainment system, giving access to messages, music apps, and maps.
- 115-volt outlet – allows easy charging of devices without the need for a 12-volt converter.
2022 Hyundai Nexo Limited (starting at $62,885)
The Limited adds several luxuries most buyers might expect at this price, and as it’s only about $4,000 more than the Blue, we think it’s the more logical trim choice.
The Limited brings a 440-watt 8-speaker Krell audio system, ventilated front seats, a heated steering wheel, and a power rear liftgate.
The Limited’s technology features include Remote Smart Parking Assist, a blind spot camera, and a surround-view monitor. Also standard are rain-sensing wipers, a power sunroof, 19-inch alloy wheels, and roof rails.
With the $1,295 destination charge, the 2022 Hyundai Nexo Limited costs $64,130. On a 60-month loan at 3% financing and zero down, the monthly payment comes to $1,152. See 2022 Hyundai Nexo Limited models for sale
2022 Hyundai Nexo Limited includes:
- Remote Smart Parking Assist – can automatically parallel or perpendicular park the Nexo while you’re outside the vehicle. It can also retrieve the car from a tight parking spot, making it easier to open the doors.
- Blind-spot camera – shows an image of the lane beside the Nexo whenever the turn signal is activated.
- Krell audio – with 440-watts and eight speakers plus a powered subwoofer, audiophiles will want this upgrade.
- Ventilated front seats – keep driver and passenger cool and dry when the temperatures outside soar.