The Genesis G70 is a compact luxury sport sedan with rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive that delivers speed and agility. It’s the smallest and lowest-priced sedan in the Genesis range and is available with a standard 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder or a potent twin-turbo V6.
For 2020, the G70 receives elegant styling enhancements to the front and rear of the vehicle so its design falls in line with the rest of the Genesis lineup. And it looks far more upscale than the last G70. The basic shape and structure of the vehicle, though, remains the same as it did for the 2021 model.
The G70 is available in several trims, but all models come standard with an incredibly long list of standard safety features, including a hands-free, driver-assist cruise control system. And every model has a new 10.25-inch infotainment screen and an 8-inch digital cluster.
The one major knock against the G70 comes in the back — it’s somewhat tight in the rear seat and trunk space. Buyers should also take a look at the classic German competitors like the BMW 3 Series, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, and Audi A4, as well as the Lexus IS and the new Acura TLX.
2022 Genesis G70 2.0T Standard ($37,525)
The 252-horsepower turbocharged 4-cylinder provides reasonably strong acceleration and pairs nicely with the standard 8-speed automatic. The manual transmission option is gone for 2022, but few will miss it.
The G70 rides on 18-inch wheels and is a responsive, engaging sport sedan. Even at this price level, there’s plenty of fun behind the wheel with driving modes to adjust the car’s personality.
On many new cars, the lowest-priced trim is usually the one to avoid because it lacks equipment. But that’s not the case here. Inside, each one comes with a brilliant new 10.25-inch touchscreen with integrated Apple Carplay and Android Auto, and an 8-inch digital gauge cluster. This model comes with heated seats, and though they aren’t leather, the comfort and support are still quite good.
One of the best things going for the standard G70 is its long list of safety features. Every G70 comes with 8 airbags (including one mounted between the front seats). And there’s a huge list of safety tech that includes features like blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert, forward-collision-avoidance assist with junction turning, lane-keeping assist, and a navigation-based smart cruise control w/auto curve slowdown.
In fact, the Genesis comes standard with the company’s Highway Drive Assist system — an intelligent, partially autonomous driving system.
That’s impressive at this price.
For another $2,100, the all-wheel-drive model includes a heated steering wheel.
With a freight charge of $1,045, the G70 Standard has an out-the-door price of $38,570. Financed at 3% over 60 months, and you’ll have a payment of $663 per month. Find a Genesis G70 2.0T Standard for sale
2022 Genesis G70 2.0T Standard includes:
- 8-speed automatic — More gears equal smoother acceleration and better fuel efficiency.
- Forward-collision avoidance assist with junction turning — Will warn the driver and apply the brakes if a collision seems likely while turning at an intersection.
- Rear cross-path detection — Alerts a backing driver when a car is nearing the rear of the car
- 10.25-inch touchscreen — A huge standard infotainment screen with the latest software
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration — Manage phone functions like navigation and messaging through the touchscreen.
2022 Genesis G70 2.0T Prestige ($41,525)
The 2.0T Prestige adds a considerable level of luxury to the G70. This is the model for those who want to have the improved fuel economy of a 4-cylinder engine without skimping on comfort and convenience features.
The Prestige does come with lots of great additional equipment over the Standard trim. This includes 19-inch alloy wheels, ventilated leather seats, a sunroof, a 15-speaker Lexicon audio system, park distance warning (front and rear), a power tilt and telescoping steering wheel, power-folding mirrors, wireless phone charging, laminated acoustic front side glass, rain-sensing wipers, and more.
But the step up to the Prestige model isn’t small. That luxury gear will cost an extra $4,000. And that puts the 2.0T Prestige within $575 of the next level up V6 model, which comes with a much more powerful drivetrain, stronger brakes, and all of the equipment listed here except for the Lexicon sound system, park distance warning, and wireless charging. So, there’s a stronger value in stepping up to the entry-level V6 model.
All-wheel drive adds $2,100 and includes a heated steering wheel.
With a freight charge of $1,045, the G70 2.0T Prestige has an out-the-door price of $42,570. Financed at 3% over 60 months, you’ll have a payment of $731 per month. Find a Genesis G70 Prestige for sale
2022 Genesis G70 2.0T Prestige includes:
- 19-inch wheels — Taller wheels not only look nicer, but the tires have a shorter sidewall. That can firm up the ride but improve handling
- Ventilated front seats — With the press of a button, fans mounted deep inside the seats blow air through tiny holes in the leather upholstery to cool your backside.
- Power tilt and telescoping steering wheel — This allows the driver to easily adjust the steering wheel for a comfortable driving position.
- 15-speaker Lexicon audio system — More speakers and amplification create a concert-like sound experience. The Lexicon system has a clean sound but doesn’t have the bass response of some competitors.
2022 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport ($42,100)
The 3.3T Sport could be the best value in the Genesis lineup because you get a great deal of important sport sedan equipment at a solid price. Take the upgraded engine, at 365 hp and 376 lb-ft of torque — the twin-turbo V6 offers a huge bump in performance. The G70 3.3T’s acceleration is very quick and adds a healthy dose of fun to the driving experience.
The 3.3T Sport adds a sport-tuned suspension and a new steering system that for 2022 is more responsive than last year’s model. Combine that with the performance 19-inch wheels and tires, and you have quite a lot of handling prowess for the money.
And that’s not to say the 3.3T Sport comes up short in the luxury department — it doesn’t. The model includes leather seating, passenger 4-way lumbar seat adjustment, power tilt and telescoping steering wheel, rain-sensing wipers, and aluminum interior trim.
The 3.3T Sport is the best deal for those looking for the maximum sport sedan performance at the lowest price point.
All-wheel drive adds $2,100 and includes a heated steering wheel.
A destination charge of $1,045 brings the G70 3.3T Sport to an out-the-door price of $43,145. Financed at 3% over 60 months, you’ll have a payment of $741 per month. Find a G70 3.3T Sport for sale
2022 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport includes:
- 3.3-liter Twin-Turbo V6 — Makes the G70 much quicker than the 4-cylinder turbo models. It generates a sizable 113 more horsepower and 115 more lb-ft of torque over the base engine.
- Passenger Walk-In Device — This confusingly named feature puts two front-passenger seat-control buttons on the inside of the seatback facing the driver, allowing an empty front-passenger seat to be moved fore or aft to better accommodate rear passengers.
- Variable Gear Ratio Steering — Instead of one steering gear ratio to suit all types of driving and roads, this system can vary that ratio so the steering is just as well-suited to parking lot chores as it is to a speedy drive on a mountain road.
- Sport-Tuned Suspension — The G70’s springs and dampers (shocks) are tuned to provide a firmer ride with less body roll and more agility on a curvy road.
2022 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport Advanced ($46,400)
In a nutshell, the Sport Advanced is the V6 trim level where many higher-end luxury features become available. So you can expect to find the Lexicon 15-speaker audio system, wireless device charging, ventilated front seats, a sunroof, park distance warning, alloy pedals, the Genesis digital key, acoustic laminated glass, dark chrome exterior trim, and power driver seat bolsters.
The Sport Advanced also includes the new variable exhaust valve system that can alter the sound of the exhaust to become more aggressive. And in that less-restrictive mode, the system adds 3 horsepower.
The Sport Advanced adds lots of great equipment, but we’d be tempted to either save $4,300 and go for the lower-price 3.3T Sport or spend another $4,000 and gain some great performance technology on a Sport Prestige model. Find a Genesis G70 3.3T Sport Advanced for sale
2022 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport Prestige ($50,400)
The Sport Prestige model pushes the G70 across the $50,000 mark. But this is the ultimate G70 in terms of performance and luxury. And it’s not just fluff. The Sport Prestige comes with some serious tech for driving enthusiasts.
The Sport Prestige is the only model to come with an upgraded Brembo braking system. Similarly, there’s an electronically controlled suspension system to provide better control and feedback for the driver. And in the rear axle, the engineers have fitted a mechanical limited-slip differential.
All G70 models have a new Sport+ driving mode that takes all the car’s systems to the highest performance threshold. On V6 models, the mode holds onto the transmission gear without upshifting (which is great for curvy road driving), provides a sportier steering tune, and a less-restrictive stability control system. But only the Sport Prestige model has this system tied into the suspension, too.
On the luxury front, the Sport Prestige delivers softer Nappa leather seats, a heated steering wheel, a microfiber suede headliner, a head-up display, and a surround-view monitor with a digital Blind-Spot View Monitor.
All-wheel drive adds $2,000 to the sticker price.
A destination charge of $1,045 brings the G70 3.3T Sport Prestige to an out-the-door price of $51,445. Financed at 3% over 60 months, you’ll have a payment of $883 per month. Find a Genesis G70 Sport Prestige for sale
2022 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport Prestige includes:
- Blind-Spot View Monitor — Provides a camera view of the vehicle’s blind spot right in the G70’s instrument cluster, helping the driver make safe lane changes.
- Brembo brake package — An upgraded brake system designed and built by Italian brake specialist Brembo to provide increased stopping power.
- Head-up display — Projects information like vehicle speed on the lower part of the windshield so the driver can keep their eyes on the road.
- Limited-slip differential — A mechanical device in the rear axle that can vary torque from side to side for maximum traction in high-speed corners or slippery road conditions.
2022 Genesis G70 Launch Edition ($52,500)
The Launch Edition is based on the 3.3T Sport Prestige model and adds lightweight multi-spoke 19-inch wheels, white or gray matte paint, and special red or black interior. Genesis will limit this model to just 500 cars split evenly between rear-drive and all-wheel drive ($54,500).
Unless the colors offered and exclusivity are appealing, we’d probably save the money and focus on a Sport Prestige model. Find a Genesis G70 Launch Edition for sale