The big news for the returning 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid (HEV) is the all-new Bronze Edition. Unique to the Highlander HEV version, it fills the slot between the XLE Hybrid and the Limited Hybrid.
Toyota only offers the Bronze Edition in Cement, Midnight Black, or Wind Chill Pearl exterior colors. It then adds bronze-colored accents inside and out.
The three-row Highlander Hybrid now enjoys an expanded lineup including LE, XLE, Bronze Edition, Limited, and Platinum.
We like Highlander Hybrid for its pliant ride, efficient powertrain, upscale cabin, and an impressive array of driver aids.
A 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine working with an electric motor provides the thrust. This collaboration generates 243 horsepower that it sends to the wheels via an automatic transmission.
According to government estimates, front-wheel-drive (FWD) versions get 36 miles per gallon in the city, 35 mpg on the highway, and 36 mpg in combined driving.
Those with all-wheel drive (AWD) deliver 20 mpg city/27 mpg highway/23 mpg combined.
Opting for AWD will set you back $1,600 on the LE, XLE, and Bronze Edition. On Limited and Platinum, you’ll pay an additional $1,950 for AWD.
2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid LE (starting at $38,855)
Hybrid LE comes with 18-inch alloy wheels, LED exterior lights (headlights, taillights, and fog lights), and a height-adjustable power rear liftgate.
Also included are keyless entry with push-button start, heated power outboard mirrors with integrated turn signals, and grille shutters.
Other features are five USB ports, tri-zone automatic climate control, and fabric seating.
An 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat and a 4.2-inch driver-information display are also included.
Among the driver aids is Safety Sense 2.5+. It provides forward-collision warning and automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning with steering assist, and lane-tracing assist. It also includes road-sign assist, left-turn intersection support, high-beam assist, and adaptive cruise control.
Toyota doesn’t offer any factory-installed option packages for the LE.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the Hybrid LE base price brings the total to $40,070. If you put no money down and financed for 60 months at 3% interest, the monthly payment works out to $720. See 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid LE models for sale
2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid LE includes:
- Tri-zone automatic climate control – Separating the vehicle into three areas (front right, front left, and rear), it allows setting the temperatures in each. Then it automatically maintains those preset temperatures.
- LED exterior lighting – This includes headlights with auto on-off, taillights, and fog lights. LEDs illuminate a wider and longer area than regular incandescent lights. That means they are also easier for other drivers to see.
- Safety Sense 2.5+ – Includes forward-collision warning and automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning with steering assist, lane-tracing assist, and more.
2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid XLE (starting at $41,855)
To the LE, the XLE adds a power moonroof, wireless phone charging, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, and a Homelink transceiver.
Also included are a 10-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, a 4-way power-adjustable passenger seat, and a 7-inch driver-information display.
Second-row captain’s chairs are standard. However, you may trade the second-row captain’s chairs for the bench seat at no charge.
Spring for another $1,040 to gain the Premium Audio package. It adds an 8-inch touchscreen and some subscription services like Safety Connect.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the XLE base price totals $43,070. With no money down for 60 months at 3% interest, financing works out to $774 per month. See 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid XLE models for sale
2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid XLE includes:
- Smartphone charging – You can charge any Qi-compatible smartphone without using a cable.
- Homelink – This universal transceiver offers programming for your automatic garage door, as well as other functions like your home’s interior light operation.
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror – Using photosensors, it recognizes bright headlights closing from behind. It then automatically dims the reflection of those lights.
2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Bronze Edition (starting at $43,880)
Building on the XLE, Bronze Edition adds a hands-free power liftgate, rain-sensing wipers, heated front seats, and driver-seat memory.
Toyota offers no factory-installed option packages.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the Hybrid Bronze Edition equals $45,095. If you put no money down and financed for 60 months at 3% interest, it works out to $826 per month. See 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Bronze Edition models for sale
2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Bronze Edition includes:
- Hands-free power liftgate – With the key fob on your person, stick your foot under the rear bumper. The liftgate automatically opens.
- Rain-sensing wipers – When the system senses moisture on the windshield, it automatically engages the wipers. The wiper speed adjusts according to the volume of the rain.
- Driver-seat memory – Up to two drivers may program their seat settings, recalling them with the push of a button.
2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited (starting at $45,810)
Limited adds 20-inch alloy wheels, puddle lights, leather-trimmed seats, heated-ventilated front seats, and a heated steering wheel.
Also included are navigation, an 11-speaker JBL audio system, a cargo-area cover, and front-rear park assist with automatic braking.
Pony up another $1,050 for a surround-view camera and a 12.3-inch touchscreen.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the Hybrid Limited base price brings the total to $47,025. With no money down, financing for 60 months at 3% interest works out to $845 per month. See 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited models for sale
2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited includes:
- Heated-ventilated front seats – They keep you warm in the cold and blow cool air to help keep you comfortable in hot weather.
- Front-rear park assist – Sensors on the front and rear bumpers detect when an object is close, triggering a warning.
- Navigation – This is Toyota’s Entune 3.0 Dynamic Navigation system.
2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum (starting at $49,010)
Platinum adds a digital rearview mirror, heated second-row seats, a color 10-inch head-up display, and a surround-view camera.
Toyota offers no factory-installed options for Hybrid Platinum.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the Hybrid Platinum base price equals $50,225. With no money down for 60 months at 3% interest, financing works out to $902 per month. See 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum models for sale
2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Platinum includes:
- Digital rearview mirror – This displays the image from a rear-pointed camera. It shows what is behind your vehicle, even if something blocks the rear window.
- Surround-view camera – It provides a 360-degree bird’s-eye view around the vehicle.
- Head-up display – A projector on the dashboard at the windshield base displays key driver information on the windshield just below the driver’s line of sight.