The 2022 Audi A4 combines the styling of a performance coupe with the opulence of a large luxury sedan and does it at a competitive price.
With its impressive standard and optional equipment list, the A4 is the midsize antidote to the SUV and crossover craze. It delivers performance, comfort, style, and interior room married to cutting-edge safety, technology, and infotainment systems.
The A4 competes head-on with the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class, not to mention other rivals from Infiniti, Volvo, Lexus, and Cadillac. To keep up, Audi offers a range of models and trims and even a performance-oriented version called the S4. In addition to the sedan, a rugged wagon-like version called the A4 allroad is available.
Both the A4 40 TFSI and A4 45 TFSI come in three trims: Premium, Premium Plus, and Prestige. The 2022 Audi A4 40 TFSI employs a 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine good for 201 horsepower and a 0 to 60 mph time of 6.3 seconds. The A4 45 TFSI uses the same engine but with 261 horsepower and a 0 to 60 run of 5.2 seconds.
Both cars come standard with quattro all-wheel drive and a 7-speed S tronic dual-clutch automatic transmission. Although equipment levels are nearly identical for the 40 and 45, the latter comes standard with larger 18-inch wheels and a sport-tuned suspension. Find an Audi A4 for sale
2022 Audi A4 Premium 40 (Starting at $39,100), A4 Premium 45 ($41,200)
As one would expect from a car costing $40,000, leather upholstery is standard, as are heated front seats with an 8-way power driver’s seat and 4-way power lumbar support. The A4’s cabin is kept cozy thanks to a 3-zone automatic climate control system, but when you feel the need for fresh air, the standard power sunroof opens to let Mother Nature take over.
Keyless entry and push-button start accompany convenience features like heated outside power mirrors, one-touch up/down power windows, and an integrated toll collection module (subscription required), further identify the A4 as more than just your average sedan.
The A4 Premium rolls on 17-inch tires surrounding stylish alloy wheels and use LEDs for the headlights and taillights. It also has heat-insulating glass to keep the cabin cool.
The infotainment system hosts a 10.1-inch MMI touch screen controlling the 10-speaker audio and includes wireless Apple CarPlay and wired Android Auto. The screen pulls double duty as the display for the Audi Drive Select modes (Comfort, Auto, Dynamic, and Individual).
The A4’s instrument cluster touts analog gauges, including a 7-inch driver information display between the speedometer and tachometer. The display shows mileage, time, outside temperature, and other available data.
If you’re looking for the cool Audi Virtual Cockpit, you need to move up to the Premium Plus trim. The same goes for features like adaptive cruise control and a surround-view camera.
Finally, on the safety and driver-assist front, the A4 includes pre-sense city automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, lane-departure warning, automatic high-beam headlights, Audi pre-sense basic preventative occupant protection, and a rearview camera.
Options for the A4 Premium include a Sport suspension (standard on the A4 45), rear-seat side-impact airbags, and the Black Optic package (black wheels, grille, and exterior trim).
The Convenience package adds Advanced Key keyless entry, start/stop with hands-free trunk release, SiriusXM radio, Audi side assist blind-spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert, and memory driver’ seat with auto-dimming side mirrors.
With the $1,045 destination charge, the 2022 Audi A4 40 Premium sells for $40,195. On a 60-month loan at 3%, the monthly payment comes to $722. Find an Audi A4 Premium for sale
2022 Audi A4 Premium includes:
- Automatic emergency braking — Keeps tabs on what’s happening in front of the car and alerts the driver to slow down when necessary. If the driver fails to act, the system will slow or stop the vehicle automatically.
- Wireless Apple CarPlay — Allows wireless integration of an Apple iPhone with the MMI infotainment system.
- Sport suspension — Standard on the A4 45 TSFI and available on the A4 40, this setup lowers the A4 by 23mm and includes stiffer shocks and springs for better handling.
- Power glass sunroof — Lets more light into the cabin when closed and more air when open.
2022 Audi A4 Premium Plus 40 ($43,800), A4 Premium Plus 45 ($45,400)
The Premium Plus isn’t much more expensive than the Premium, but it brings the features that delight Audi owners, beginning with the Virtual Cockpit digital instrument cluster. This 12.3-inch virtual gauge cluster mimics the look of analog gauges and can also be configurable to display navigation routing using Google Earth.
The Premium Plus includes all the Premium’s Convenience package features, then adds a 360-degree Top View camera, adaptive cruise control with traffic jam assist, a heated steering wheel, and active lane assist. Also included are front and rear parking sensors, a wireless charging pad, and full LED headlights.
Options for the Premium Plus include MMI navigation with Audi Connect services, the Sport suspension, rear-seat side-impact airbags, and the Warm Weather package that adds ventilated sport seats and side window sunshades.
Music lovers can upgrade to a 755-watt, 19-speaker Bang & Olufsen 3D sound system.
With destination, the Premium Plus comes to $44,845. Using the same 60-month loan calculation, the Premium Plus adds just $84 to the monthly payment, which comes to $806. Find an Audi A4 Premium Plus for sale
2022 Audi A4 Premium Plus includes:
- Virtual Cockpit — Uses a large 12.3-inch display to re-create analog-style gauges, show essential information such as tire pressure, and display navigation guidance (when equipped) via Google Earth.
- Adaptive cruise control w/traffic jam assist — Allows the A4 to maintain a safe distance from the traffic ahead. The system can slow and even stop the vehicle, then resume following, making it perfect for stop-and-go traffic situations.
- Heated steering wheel — Warms the steering wheel on cold days so you can comfortably drive before the car warms up.
- Active lane assist — By “reading” the lane markings, this system actively keeps the vehicle in its lane, even without driver input.
2022 Audi A4 Prestige 40 ($49,400) A4 Prestige 45 ($50,100)
The top-line Prestige trim combines all features on the Premium Plus along with the Navigation package, Warm Weather package, and B&O audio upgrade.
Prestige buyers also get a head-up display, Matrix design LED headlights, dual-pane acoustic side glass, animation for the front and rear turn signals, and heated rear seats.
With the $1,045 destination charge, a 2022 A4 Prestige costs $50,445, making the monthly payment $906 or $100 more than the Premium Plus. Find an Audi A4 Premium Plus for sale
2022 Audi A4 Prestige includes:
- Bang & Olufsen 3D sound system — With 755-watts driving 19 speakers, the A4’s B&O sound system has what it takes to wake up even the sleepiest tunes.
- MMI Navigation Plus — Give accurate directions to whatever location you input, or you can pick from a list of restaurants, attractions, and other desirable destinations. The system allows for pinch and swipe gestures and Google Maps (subscription required).
- Head-up display — Projects onto the windshield important information such as speed, posted speed limits, and navigation directions.
2022 Audi S4 Premium ($50,400)
Like the A4, the high-performance S4 comes in two additional trims above the Premium: the S4 Premium Plus ($54,100) and the S4 Prestige ($58,800).
While the trims match up closely, the S4 does bring more sizzle to the A4 platform, starting with its 349-horsepower 3.0-liter turbocharged 6-cylinder engine and 8-speed Tiptronic automatic. Capable of reaching 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds, the S4 is one of the fastest cars in its class.
The S4 also comes with 18-inch wheels and summer tires, a lowered S sport suspension, and leather and Alcantara sport seats.
The Premium Plus offers an S sport package option that brings adaptive dampers, a sport rear differential, and red-painted brake calipers. Buyers can also upgrade to Dynamic Steering that improves feedback and lessen turning effort. Both of these options are also available on the S4 Prestige. Find an Audi S4 for sale
More Audi Trim Comparisons: