If you want a new Toyota Avalon, you’d better hustle because 2022 is the end of the line for this full-size sedan.
With its last gasp, Avalon doesn’t get much new beyond some updated driver-aid technology. Moreover, it no longer offers all-wheel drive (AWD) and Toyota discontinued the TRD and XSE trim levels.
Avalon’s grade lineup is now XLE, Limited, and Touring.
Toyota also offers a hybrid version of Avalon, which we detail elsewhere.
Although Avalon has never been overly exciting, we will be sorry to see it go.
We like its roomy cabin, cavernous trunk, solid build quality, and a suite of standard driver aids. Oh, and there’s Toyota’s well-earned reputation for reliability.
The only drivetrain is a 3.5-liter V6 coupled with an 8-speed automatic transmission rotating the front wheels. Three driver-selectable driving modes (Normal, Eco, and Sport) are standard.
Mileage is a government-estimated 22 miles per gallon in the city, 31 mpg on the highway, and 25 mpg in combined driving.
2022 Toyota Avalon XLE (starting at $36,275)
This is our pick for the best value among Avalon trim levels because it is so well equipped.
Standard features include 17-inch alloy wheels, LED exterior lights with auto on-off (headlights, taillights, and daytime running lights), and 10 airbags.
Also included are heated power outboard mirrors with integrated turn signals, dual-zone automatic climate control, synthetic leather seats, and heated front seats.
Keyless entry with push-button start, 8-way power-adjustable front seats, a tilt-telescopic steering wheel, and a 7-inch driver information display are also standard.
Among the standard driver aids are forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning with steering assist, and lane-tracing assist.
Adaptive cruise control, high-beam assist, and road-sign assist are also included.
For $1,720, you can add navigation and a 14-speaker JBL audio system with the Premium Audio with Dynamic Navigation Package.
Adding the $1,025 destination fee to the XLE base price brings the total to $37,300. With no money down, financing for 60 months at 3% interest works out to $670 per month. See 2022 Toyota Avalon XLE models for sale
2022 Toyota Avalon XLE includes:
- LED exterior lighting – This includes projector headlights with auto on-off, taillights, and daytime running lights (DRLs). LEDs illuminate a wider and longer area than regular incandescent lights. That means they are also easier for other drivers to see.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control – A set-it-and-forget-it system, it divides the vehicle into left and right regions. It provides separate temperature settings for each region. Once set, it automatically maintains the preset temperatures.
- Suite of driver aids – This comprehensive collection of safety features includes forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, and high-beam assist.
2022 Toyota Avalon Touring (starting at $42,975)
Touring builds on XLE with 19-inch black alloy wheels, an adaptive variable suspension, adaptive cornering lights, and a power moonroof.
Also included are perforated synthetic leather seats with Ultrasuede trim, a heated steering wheel with paddle shifters, and a 10-inch head-up display.
Add the Advanced Safety Package ($1,150) to gain a birds-eye view surround camera, Intelligent Clearance Sonar, and rear cross-traffic braking with automatic emergency braking.
Adding the $1,025 destination charge to the Touring base price totals $44,000. With no money down for 60 months at 3% interest, financing works out to $791 per month. See 2022 Toyota Avalon Touring models for sale
2022 Toyota Avalon Touring includes:
- Head-up display – A projector on the dashboard at the base of the windshield displays key driver information on the windshield just below the driver’s line of sight.
- Heated steering wheel – It keeps those digits warm in cold weather. It also includes steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters for changing gears.
- Adaptive variable suspension – A driver-adjustable system, it constantly monitors driving conditions and smooths out the ride.
2022 Toyota Avalon Limited (starting at $42,575)
Limited builds on the XLE and not the Touring. It adds 18-inch alloy wheels, leather seats, heated rear seats, and heated-ventilated front seats.
Also included are a 10-inch head-up display, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, wireless phone charging, and the 14-speaker JBL audio system.
The Advanced Safety Package is available on Limited.
Adding the $1,025 destination fee to the Limited base price brings the total to $43,600. With no money down for 60 months at 3% interest, financing works out to $783 per month. See 2022 Toyota Avalon Limited models for sale
2022 Toyota Avalon Limited includes:
- Leather seats – These bring a touch of luxury.
- Ventilated front seats – Blowing cool air, they help keep you comfortable in hot weather.
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror – Using photosensors, it recognizes bright headlights closing from behind. It then automatically dims the reflection of those lights.