The gasoline-only 2022 Toyota RAV4 returns with a few minor enhancements.
Most notable among the changes is a rakish headlight design for all but the base LE trim. Additionally, LED fog lights are now standard on the XLE Premium and higher grades.
Toyota updated RAV4’s wheel choices and exterior color palette, as well.
The exact 2022 pricing remains a mystery. Our estimates include a $350 year-over-year increase.
RAV4 can take credit for beginning the crossover stampede responsible for decimating the ranks of traditional passenger cars. Toyota launched RAV4 25 years ago. Today, it leads its class in sales volume.
We like the 5-passenger RAV4 for its fuel efficiency, an array of standard driver aids, capable all-wheel drive (AWD), and bullet-proof reliability.
Toyota splits RAV4 into six trim levels: LE, XLE, XLE Premium, Adventure, TRD Off-Road, and Limited.
Front-wheel drive (FWD) is the default mode and standard for LE, XLE, XLE Premium, and Limited. AWD is available for a $1,400 upcharge. AWD is standard for Adventure and TRD Off-Road.
Providing thrust across the RAV4 lineup is a 203-horsepower 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine in tandem with an 8-speed automatic transmission.
The government-estimated AWD mileage numbers vary a bit according to the trim level. For the FWD versions estimated fuel economy is 28 miles per gallon in the city, 35 mpg on the highway, and 30 mpg combined. Most AWD models deliver 27 mpg city/33 mpg highway/29 mpg combined.
AWD outliers are the LE with 27 mpg city/34 mpg highway/30 mpg combined and TRD Off-Road with 25 mpg city/32 mpg highway/28 mpg combined.
2022 Toyota RAV4 LE ($26,700 estimated)
Although this entry-level trim has a fair amount of infotainment features and driver aids, it is basic in every other respect. It does offer power windows, door locks, and outboard mirrors. Air conditioning is also standard.
Included are 17-inch steel wheels, LED exterior lights (headlights, taillights, and daytime running lights), manual climate control, and a projected-path rearview camera.
Also standard are a 4.2-inch driver-information display, fabric seating, a tilt-telescopic steering wheel, remote keyless entry, and one USB port.
Safety Sense 2.0 is standard with forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning with steering assist, and lane-tracing assist. Also included are high-beam assist and adaptive cruise control.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the LE base price brings the total to $27,915. If you put no money down and financed for 60 months at 3% interest, the monthly payment would be $502. See 2022 Toyota RAV4 LE models for sale
2022 Toyota RAV4 LE Includes:
- LED exterior lighting – This includes headlights with auto on-off, taillights, and daytime running lights (DRLs). LEDs illuminate a wider and longer area than regular incandescent lights. That means they are also easier for other drivers to see.
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto – Allows your smartphone to interface with your vehicle. Not only can you access the music on your phone, but you can also send messages, receive messages, make calls, and so forth through your vehicle’s media system.
- Safety Sense 2.0 – A bundle of driver aids, it includes forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning with steering assist, and lane-tracing assist.
2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE (starting at $27,995 estimated)
We like the LXE for its comprehensive list of standard features and sub-$30,000 price. It would be our choice when shopping for the RAV4.
XLE adds 17-inch alloy wheels, heated power outboard mirrors with integrated turn signals, and dual-zone automatic climate control.
Also included are keyless entry with push-button start, a rear cargo cover, four more USB ports, and blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert.
Other standard features are an 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat and auto on-off headlights.
Adding the $1,200 XLE Convenience Package gains you a height-adjustable power rear liftgate and a power moonroof.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the XLE base price totals $29,210, Financing with no money down for 60 months at 3% interest works out to $525 per month. See 2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE models for sale
2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE Includes:
- Mirrors with integrated turn signals – These are heated power outboard mirrors with turn-signal repeaters installed on their outer shell.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control – A set-it-and-forget-it system, it divides the vehicle into left and right regions. It provides separate temperature settings for each region. Once set, it automatically maintains the preset temperatures.
- Blind-spot monitoring – This radar-based system warns of traffic approaching your flanks. It also includes rear cross-traffic alert to warn of vehicles crossing behind you when in reverse.
2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE Premium (starting at $30,700 estimated)
In addition to the XLE Convenience Package, XLE Premium adds 19-inch alloy wheels, rear-seat HVAC vents, faux-leather seating, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel.
If you pony up an extra $1,075, you can score the Weather Package with a heated steering wheel, heated front seats, and rain-sensing wipers with a de-icer function.
Add another $1,075 to that, and you can bundle a 9-speaker JBL audio system to get the Weather Package and Audio Plus with JBL.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the XLE Premium base price equals $31,915. With no money down, financing for 60 months at 3% interest works out to a monthly payment of $573. See 2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE Premium models for sale
2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE Premium Includes:
- Power liftgate – Opening with a push of a button, this liftgate also includes a height adjustment.
- Moonroof – This is a power tilt-slide moonroof.
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel – This tilt-telescopic steering wheel also hosts controls for the driver-information display, hands-free phone voice commands, and adaptive cruise control.
2022 Toyota RAV4 Adventure (starting at $33,805)
AWD is standard.
Adventure adds unique appearance elements, including orange-accent stitching in the cabin. However, it loses the power liftgate and power moonroof.
It does gain active grille shutters, a dynamic rearview camera with dynamic gridlines, and a digital gauge display with a 7-inch driver-information display.
Also standard are a 120-volt AC power outlet, an 8-inch touchscreen, wireless Apple Carplay, wireless Android Auto, and downhill-assist.
The Adventure Weather Package ($1,015) adds a heated steering wheel, heated-ventilated front seats, and rain-sensing wipers with a de-icer function.
You can add back in the power liftgate and power moonroof for $1,266.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the Adventure base price totals $35,020. With no money down for 60 months at 3% interest, financing works out to $629 per month. See 2022 Toyota RAV4 Adventure models for sale
2022 Toyota RAV4 Adventure Includes:
- AWD – This is a torque vectoring system with multi-terrain select.
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto – Allows your smartphone to interface with your vehicle without cables.
- Downhill-assist – When descending a steep grade, this system helps maintain a steady speed of 3 miles per hour.
2022 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off-Road (starting at $36,430)
The power moonroof and power rear liftgate are back among the standard features.
TRD Off-Road adds 18-inch alloy wheels, LED fog lights, power-folding outboard mirrors, a front skid plate, all-weather floor mats, and a cargo-area liner.
The Weather Package is still available. A Premium Audio with Dynamic Navigation and JBL is $1,620.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the TRD Off-Road base price brings the total to $37,645. With no money down, financing for 60 months at 3% interest works out to $676 per month. See 2022 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off-Road models for sale
2022 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off-Road Includes:
- Fog lights – These are LEDs that improve the illumination reach and brightness.
- Power-folding mirrors – These outboard mirrors fold to tuck in close to the vehicle body with a push of a button.
- Front skid plate – Designed for more intense off-roading, it protects the vehicle’s undercarriage.
2022 Toyota RAV4 Limited (starting at $35,230)
Limited loses the standard AWD. However, it’s still an available option.
Limited adds puddle lights in the outboard mirrors, heated front seats, dark-brown interior accents, blue ambient interior lighting, navigation, and front-rear parking assist.
An 11-speaker JBL audio system is also included.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the Limited base price comes to $36,445. Financing with no money down for 60 months at 3% interest works out to a monthly payment of $655. See 2022 Toyota RAV4 Limited models for sale
2022 Toyota RAV4 Limited Includes:
- Heated front seats – They help keep you warm in cold weather.
- Navigation – This is a GPS-based system.
- Front-rear park assist – Sensors on the front and rear bumpers detect when an object is close, triggering a warning.