In the world of the 2022 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid (HEV), the big news is the addition of an SE grade slotting between the XLE Premium and XSE.
There’s not a lot of wiggle room between those grades. Apparently, however, the Toyota marketing wonks thought a new trim could do something another XLE Prime option package couldn’t.
We don’t know much about the new SE Hybrid, but we’ll share the little we have.
We estimate the pricing by adding $500 to the 2021 suggested retail prices because Toyota has yet to release the actual 2022 prices.
Across the RAV4 lineup (We detail the regular RAV4 and the RAV4 Prime plug-in hybrid elsewhere), all but the base LE get sleeker new headlights.
There are some wheel and exterior color changes, as well. Nothing earth-shattering, though.
RAV4 is a compact 5-passenger crossover.
We like the RAV4 HEV for its standard AWD, relatively roomy cabin, impressive fuel economy, and legacy of reliability.
The ballooning HEV trim-level lineup for 2022 includes the LE, XLE, XLE Premium, SE, XSE, and Limited.
Every RAV4 HEV rolls with AWD.
Propulsion comes from a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine working with two electric motors. This collaboration is good for 219 horsepower and 163 lb-ft of torque. An automatic transmission transfers torque to the wheels.
According to the government estimates, the RAV4 HEV is good for 41 miles per gallon in the city, 38 mpg on the highway, and 40 mpg in combined driving.
2022 Toyota RAV4 LE Hybrid (starting at $29,400 estimated)
Standard are 17-inch alloy wheels, LED exterior lights (headlights, taillights, and daytime running lights), and active grille shutters.
Also included are dual-zone automatic climate control, a 4.2-inch driver-information display, fabric seating, and a tilt-telescopic steering wheel with redundant controls.
Other standard features are remote keyless entry, a height-adjustable rear cargo area, and one USB port.
Safety Sense 2.0 is standard with forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning with steering assist, and lane-tracing assist. Also included are high-beam assist and adaptive cruise control.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the LE Hybrid base price brings the total to $30,615. Financing with no money down for 60 months at 3% interest costs $550 per month. See 2022 Toyota RAV4 LE Hybrid models for sale
2022 Toyota RAV4 LE Hybrid Includes:
- LED exterior lighting – This includes headlights with auto on-off, taillights, and daytime running lights (DRLs). LEDs illuminate a wider and longer area than regular incandescent lights. That means they are also easier for other drivers to see.
- Safety Sense 2.0 – A bundle of driver aids, it includes forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning with steering assist, and lane-tracing assist.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control – A set-it-and-forget-it system, it divides the vehicle into left and right regions. It provides separate temperature settings for each region. Once set, it automatically maintains the preset temperatures.
2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE Hybrid (starting at $30,695 estimated)
After tossing in the Weather Package and the Convenience Package, we think the XLE Hybrid has everything we need at a pretty good price. It’s our trim pick.
To the LE, XLE adds auto on-off headlights, fog lights, heated power outboard mirrors with integrated turn signals, and keyless entry with push-button start.
Also included are a cargo-area cover, four additional USB ports, blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert, and an 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat.
The Weather Package ($925) adds a heated steering wheel, heated front seats, and rain-sensing wipers with a de-icer function.
Ante up another $1,265 for the XLE Convenience Package with a height-adjustable power tailgate and a power moonroof.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the XLE Hybrid base price totals $31,910. If you put no money down and financed for 60 months at 3% interest, the monthly payment works out to $573. See 2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE Hybrid models for sale
2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE Hybrid Includes:
- Blind-spot monitoring – This radar-based system warns of traffic approaching your flanks. It also includes a rear cross-traffic alert to warn of vehicles crossing behind you when in reverse.
- Mirrors with integrated turn signals – These are power outboard mirrors with turn-signal repeaters installed on their outer shell. They are heated, as well.
- Auto on-off headlights – Photosensors detect a reduction in daylight, which automatically engages the headlights and taillights. The system extinguishes the lights when an appropriate amount of daylight returns.
2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid (starting at $33,400 estimated)
To the XLE, XLE Premium adds XLE’s Convenience Package, 18-inch alloy wheels, rear-seat HVAC vents, faux-leather seating, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel.
The XLE Premium Weather Package will set you back another $1,075.
For $2,835, you can pick up the Advanced Technology package and Audio Plus with JBL. It gains you front-rear park assist with automatic braking, a digital rearview mirror, wireless phone charging, an 8-inch touchscreen, an 11-speaker JBL audio system, and more.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the XLE Hybrid base price equals $34,615. Financing with no money down for 60 months at 3% interest works out to $622 per month. See 2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid models for sale
2022 Toyota RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid Includes:
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel – This tilt-telescopic steering wheel also hosts controls for the driver-information display, hands-free phone voice commands, and adaptive cruise control.
- Moonroof – This is a power tilt-slide moonroof.
- Power liftgate – Opening with a push of a button, this liftgate also includes a height adjustment.
2022 Toyota RAV4 SE Hybrid (starting at $34,375 estimated)
Although the SE builds on the XLE Premium, we have no clue what that looks like. Nor do we know if it will cannibalize any content from the XLE Premium or XSE.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the SE Hybrid base price comes to $35,590. Financing with no money down for 60 months at 3% interest works out to a monthly payment of $640. See 2022 Toyota RAV4 SE Hybrid models for sale
2022 Toyota RAV4 XSE Hybrid (starting at $35,350 estimated)
To the XLE Premium, the XSE adds unique appearance elements, a two-tone exterior paint scheme, and heated power-folding outboard mirrors.
Other content includes a panoramic rearview camera with dynamic guidelines, a digital gauge cluster, a 7-inch driver-information display, and heated front seats.
Also included are a blue-accented cabin with blue stitching, a digital rearview mirror, a Homelink transceiver, and an 8-inch touchscreen.
Wireless Apple CarPlay and Wireless Android Auto are also standard.
Although the prices may vary, XSE offers the same option packages. It also offers Dynamic Navigation with the JBL audio packages.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the XSE base price brings the total to $36,565. With no money down, financing for 60 months at 3% interest works out to $657 per month. See 2022 Toyota RAV4 XSE Hybrid models for sale
2022 Toyota RAV4 XSE Hybrid Includes:
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto – Allows your smartphone to interface with your vehicle. Not only can you access the music on your phone, but you can also send messages, receive messages, make calls, and so forth through your vehicle’s media system. These are standard in every RAV4 Hybrid, but beginning with the XSE, you don’t need a cable to connect.
- Homelink – This universal transceiver offers programming for your automatic garage door, as well as other functions like your home’s interior light operation.
- Digital rearview mirror – Using a rear-pointed camera, the digital mirror can display what is behind your vehicle even if the rear window is blocked.
2022 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid (starting at $37,930)
Limited loses some of the XSE appearance elements.
Building on XSE, Limited adds puddle lights, memory for the driver’s seat, and a dark-brown accented cabin with brown stitching.
Also included are an 11-speaker JBL audio system and front-rear park assist.
Adding the $1,215 destination fee to the Limited Hybrid base price brings the total to $39,145. Financing with no money down for 60 months at 3% interest works out to a monthly payment of $703. See 2022 Toyota RAV4 Limited Hybrid models for sale
2022 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited Include:
- Driver’s seat memory – You can program your seat preferences, recalling them with the push of a button.
- Front-rear park assist – Sensors on the front and rear bumpers detect when an object is close, triggering a warning.
- JBL audio system – This is an 11-speaker audio system custom-tailored for the RAV4 by JBL.