Ford thinks Fiesta buyers are far too busy and way too hip to read an old-fashioned owner's manual. So the company has transfomed it into a pre-loaded MP3/USB combo. The Fiesta "unpackaging" experience is Ford's novel approach to bringing its new subcompact into a younger mindset through media interaction.
"Everything about the launch of the Fiesta has been different and the delivery experience is redefining how customers become acquainted with their new product," said Paul Anderson, Ford small car marketing manager. "The Fiesta Movement started engagement with consumers and the delivery process continues the dialogue. This makes owners a part of something special."
This is how it works. When Fiesta buyers take delivery of their cars, they are shown a short video featuring Fiesta Movement agents. After the video, they get their picture taken with their new ride, which is then uploaded to the Fiesta Community site.
On the way home, the owner plugs the USB into the dash socket. In essence, it "unwraps" the car and helps a driver explore all the features in 19 minutes of infotainment-type audio. Topics range from the push-button start to the sound-deadening windshield.
Once they get home, the USB pops into their computer and downloads a Fiesta Community app, a place to interact with their dealer, Ford and other Fiesta enthusiasts. The app is easy to use with fun, colorful graphics. The site looks and sounds like a kid's video game, but it has a lot of information that anyone (car geek or not) can appreciate and understand.
Features of the Fiesta Community app include:
- Fiestapedia: Serves as an online wiki, where owners can get tips from other owners and contribute their own ideas, with over 15 categories.
- Photoshop: The place to upload and photoshop images and share them on social media.
- Online Community: Connect with other owners at Fiesta Faction, an enthusiast club. Get questions answered, or maybe help another owner.
- Dealer Store: Connects owners with their dealer, so they can check out their Facebook page or website, and keep up with events.
- Podcasts: Offers 12 podcasts with greater detail about the Fiesta's features, such as safety and Sync.
- Fiesta News: Pretty much self-explanatory.
- Ford Connections: Makes it easy to connect with Ford, through www.fordvehicles.com, www.syncmyride.com and www.flmowner.com.
"The Fiesta Movement has taught us that consumers want to continue the dialogue with Ford and other Fiesta owners," said Anderson. "The Fiesta continues to push the boundaries of how we interact with our customers."