When you see the Cadillac name you might immediately think Escalade, its flagship SUV that is loved by celebs and well-heeled families alike. But the luxury American brand hasn’t forgotten about sedans. In fact, it just introduced its V-Series Blackwing.
The V-Series Blackwing line represents “the pinnacle of Cadillac performance and craftsmanship.” They are powerful, track-worthy high-performance models meant to take on European sports sedans like the BMW M3 and Audi RS 5 and Mercedes-AMG C 63.
Here’s a first look at the V-Series Blackwing and five things to know:
- There are two of them: The V-Series Blackwing doesn’t just introduce one car, but two. The CT4-V Blackwing is based on the CT4 sedan and uses a 3.6-liter twin-turbo V6. Then there’s the Big Daddy: The CT5-V Blackwing. This model is based on the Cadillac CT5 but packs a 6.2-liter supercharged V8.
- The latter is the most powerful Cadillac production model ever: To be exact, the CT5-V Blackwing makes 668 horsepower and 656 lb-ft of torque. Cadillac estimates that’s enough for this super sedan to do 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds and go over 200 mph. The CT4-V isn’t exactly a slouch with 472 hp/445 lb-ft of torque and the ability to do 0-60 mph in 3.8 seconds and hit 189 mph. In addition to special engines, they are enhanced with track-ready features like upgraded brakes, suspension and other go-fast components.
- They’ve got a manual transmission: The siren call of driving enthusiasts the world over, a manual transmission is actually standard on both these performance cars. If you don’t want the 6-speed manual, a 10-speed automatic is optional. Both are also rear-wheel drive, another trait of many a purist’s car.
- The CT5 Blackwing has a hand-built engine: Similar to high-end Mercedes-AMG models that are famed for their “one man, one engine” craftsmanship, the CT5’s V8 is handmade. The job is done at General Motors’ Bowling Green, Kentucky, plant and signed by the builder’s name, just like the Germans do.
- They appear to be the last of their kind: In a presentation to the media before debuting these models, a Cadillac executive said ”these are the last petrol V models.” That means if you want a new gasoline-devouring high-performance Cadillac, these are likely the parting shot. General Motors, the parent of Cadillac, has pledged to transition its vehicles off gasoline and diesel in the next decade as it moves to electricity.
How much does the Cadillac Blackwing cost?
Now the final thing you might be wondering: How much are they, and when can you buy one? The 2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing will start at $59,990, while the CT5-V Blackwing begins at $84,990. Both those prices include destination charge. Deliveries are to begin this summer, and reservations are open now.