In what will be its final year, the 2022 Toyota Avalon Hybrid returns with only minor enhancements.
We detail the regular gasoline-only 2022 Avalon elsewhere.
Toyota is offering its Avalon Hybrid in XLE, XSE Nightshade, and Limited trim levels.
In one 2022 change, you must take the Nightshade Package when you opt for the XSE trim level.
We like the Avalon and will miss it for its pleasant ride, huge interior, spacious trunk, and legendary reliability. It’s a big car that drives smaller than it is.
Delivering its thrust is a hybrid system consisting of a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine, two electric motors, and a lithium-ion battery pack. An automatic transmission spins the front wheels.
Government estimates put the fuel economy for the XLE at 43 mpg in the city, 44 mpg on the highway, and 44 mpg in combined driving. For whatever reason, the XSE and Limited lose 1 mpg from the highway and combined columns.
2022 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE (starting at $37,250)
If we were choosing, we’d pick the XLE. Nicely equipped, it checks most of the boxes. About the only thing of value spending another $3,350 for the XSE Nightshade garners you is auto-on-off headlights.
Standard fare includes 17-inch alloy wheels, LED exterior lights (headlights, taillights, and daytime running lights), and heated power outboard mirrors with integrated turn signals.
Also included are dual-zone automatic climate control, 8-way power-adjustable heated front seats, and an auto-dimming rearview mirror.
Other standard features are keyless entry with push-button start, a 7-inch driver information display, 10 airbags, and a tilt-telescopic steering wheel.
Standard driver aids include forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning with steering assist, and hill-start assist.
You can upgrade to a 14-speaker JBL audio system and navigation for $1,720.
Adding a power moonroof will set you back $1,000.
Adding the $1,025 destination fee to the XLE base price comes to $38,275. With no money down, financing for 60 months at 3% interest works out to a monthly payment of $688. See 2022 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE models for sale
2022 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE includes:
- LED exterior lighting – This includes headlights, taillights, and daytime running lights (DRLs). LEDs illuminate a wider and longer area than regular incandescent lights. That means they are also easier for other drivers to see.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control – A set-it-and-forget-it system, it divides the vehicle into left and right regions. It provides separate temperature settings for each region. Once set, it automatically maintains the preset temperatures.
- Suite of driver aids – This comprehensive collection of safety features includes forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, and high-beam assist.
2022 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XSE Nightshade (starting at $40,600)
Nightshade is basically an appearance package with gloss-black exterior accents and dark-gray 18-inch wheels.
To the XLE content, the XSE adds a power moonroof, aluminum interior accents, perforated faux-leather seating with Ultrasuede trim, and a Homelink transceiver.
Also included are wireless smartphone charging, auto-on-off LED headlights, and aluminum pedal covers.
You opt for the 14-speaker JBL audio system and navigation.
Adding the $1,025 destination fee to the XSE Nightshade base price brings the total to $41,625. With no money down for 60 months at 3% interest, financing works out to $748 per month. See 2022 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XSE Nightshade models for sale
2022 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XSE Nightshade includes:
- Auto on-off headlights – Photosensors detect a reduction in daylight, which automatically engages the headlights and taillights. The system extinguishes the lights when an appropriate amount of daylight returns.
- Homelink – This universal transceiver offers programming for your automatic garage door, as well as other functions like your home’s interior light operation.
- Smartphone charging – You can charge any Qi-compatible smartphone without using a cable.
2022 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited (starting at $43,550)
Losing all of the Nightshade styling cues, Limited adds 18-inch chrome wheels, adaptive cornering lights, and a 10-inch color head-up display (HUD).
Also standard are leather front seats, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, a heated steering wheel, the 14-speaker JBL audio system, and navigation.
For $1,150, you can add the Advanced Safety Package with a 360-degree surround-view camera and rear cross-traffic alert with automatic emergency braking.
Adding the $1,025 destination fee to the Limited base price equals $44,575. With no money down for 60 months at 3% interest, financing works out to $801 per month. See 2022 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited models for sale
2022 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited includes:
- Ventilated front seats – Blowing cool air, they help keep you comfortable in hot weather.
- Leather front seats – This adds a touch of luxury.
- Head-up display – A projector on the dashboard at the windshield base displays key driver information on the windshield just below the driver’s line of sight.