Congratulations! You’ve taken some photos of your car, decided on a price, written an informative description, and finally published the perfect ad on Autotrader.com. But the phone isn’t ringing. Or maybe it is, but you’re not hearing from the serious buyers you know are out there. What now? Read on for ideas about how and when to update your ad to attract more quality leads.
- Spotlight Ad: This type of ad puts your vehicle at the top of the heap, above all the other vehicle listings. Four Spotlight Ads appear near the top of each Search Results Page, and yours will rotate in on a regular basis.
- Premium Listing: Premium listings appear first — above Featured and Standard Listings. They’re the largest listings with the biggest thumbnail photo and the maximum vehicle details, descriptions and seller information. Premium Listings get roughly twice the views of Featured Listings.
- Graphic Tile: These colorful graphics will appear on your ad whenever it comes up in search results, and they give buyers an instant reason to take a second look.
Finally, remember the details that can make all the difference. Though optional, these details will let people know that you’re serious about selling—and serious sellers attract serious buyers.
- High quality photos: Include good photos from every angle of the vehicle. Most used cars have some imperfections, and potential buyers may wonder if you’re hiding something if your photos are limited. Max photo size is 10MB.
- Vehicle Identification Number: Your vehicle’s identification number (VIN) allows potential buyers to purchase a Vehicle History Report—an investment that more and more used car shoppers make each day.
- Tell your car’s story: Buyers appreciate it when you take full advantage of the Vehicle Description area and go beyond the specs. How has the car been driven? Why are you selling?
Even if you’ve done all the right things, the right buyer rarely comes along overnight. But being proactive about updating your listing will ensure that, when the right buyer is looking for you, you’ll be easy to find. Andrew Golaszewski is a staff writer at Autotrader.com.